Need screw that attaches throttle cable to bracket on QJ on 71 Old 455

Discussion in 'Other' started by Ken Mild, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. Ken Mild

    Ken Mild King of 18 Year Resto's

    Subject pretty much says it all, but my buddy got a Edelbrock quadrajet replacement to replace his Rochester QJ and he lost the screw or whatever piece attaches the accelerator cable to the pivoting arm on the carb. The Rochester is a ball and socket deal but the Olds is different. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I already looked all over Greg Gessler's Quadrajet Parts site but really don't think it was there. I don't know exactly what the Olds setup looks like, I'm not too familiar with Olds, so I was hoping maybe some of you Olds guys would know.

  2. mrolds69

    mrolds69 "The Cure"

    On my 69 + I believe at least 68-72, there is a pin like deal instead of the ball socket. Then there are some special plastic bushings...a rubber grommet that goes inside the hole of the cable, and I think a hairpin clip...I forget now, I'm not home. Go to Wild About Cars and look through the assembly manuals. You either have to find an Olds carb, or remove the ball deal + fab something, or find a junk Olds Q-jet and swap the shaft and accelerator bracket. You can cut the bracket off, drill + tap it at the throttle shaft and swap it out, it's a lot of work!

    ---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

    Now that I think about's a rubber grommet in the cable hole, a plastic bushing inside the grommet, maybe a washer on each side and a clip, look on Wild.
  3. Ken Mild

    Ken Mild King of 18 Year Resto's

    Yeah I'll check that out Frank, thanks. Just to clarify, the Edelbrock is the same setup as his QJ just that I think he might have lost the pieces you are talking about, I didn't know if they were available for purchase anywhere or if they had to be scapped off another car.
  4. mrolds69

    mrolds69 "The Cure"

    Ken, you can buy the grommet + bushing repro maybe TPP has them, I forget. The washers + clip are standard hardware stuff. I'm not familiar with Edelbrock Q-jets, but they probably come with a bag of different type pins + ball sockets to make it universal. You could use a bolt or screw instead of the ball socket or factory type pin. Prob is w/o the grommet + bushing, it would not be smooth, there would be too much play, you would never get full throttle.
  5. Ken Mild

    Ken Mild King of 18 Year Resto's

    Yeah that's what he's worried about. He wants it to pivot smoothly. He had cable ties holding it together before. Real redneck method. :Dou:

Share This Page