Anyone in the group know where to get a new title?

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by freakzilla, Dec 23, 2020.

  1. freakzilla

    freakzilla Well-Known Member

    I bought a 70 years back in Texas and was going to build it due to it being rust free. Bought without a title back then. Vin check came back clean. Best way to do it?

    Thx in advance.
    Dano likes this.
  2. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    Watching. I have a similar issue w/a car I bought in NY where there are no titles for old cars & I didn't get a "transferable registration."

    My understanding is that in MT, they inspect the car & will issue a title. I propose we all trailer our cars to Lucas' (@1972Mach1) & get MT titles;).
  3. bobc455

    bobc455 Well-Known Member

    Depends on the state. Typically you have to provide either an old title or some other evidence that you've owned the car longer than titles have been a requirement (i.e. bill of sale).

    You may have to bring the car for an inspection - for example by state police or a state inspector - who will verify the numbers on the car and maybe do some kind of tracking.

    As far as I know every state has their own rules, so really the answer to your question depends on what state you're in and what their rules are. For example in Massachusetts you can find the rules here but your state will most likely have some different rules.

    -Bob C.
    Dano likes this.
  4. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    Getting a hold of DMV these days is like calling Elvis. I'm planning a full resto on the car (currently a basket case) but would be nice to have a title in hand.
    Max Damage and Brett Slater like this.
  5. gsx455-4ever

    gsx455-4ever Gold Level Contributor

    Dano likes this.
  6. BrianTrick

    BrianTrick Brian Trick

    It is much more difficult to title a car these days. I’m sure there was some wrong doings that helped ruin that.
    Dano likes this.
  7. gsx455-4ever

    gsx455-4ever Gold Level Contributor

    Yeah Brian . Our state PA ; is not only difficult but Expensive . But I have seen good reviews on the VT deal .
    breakinbuick11 and Dano like this.
  8. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    Thx Lou. That was always the place back in the day but wasn't sure if still is. The State probably likes the $ (kinda like Maine w/trailers).
  9. Briz

    Briz Platinum Level Contributor

    Bought a 67 Riv several years ago. Owner long passed and family didnt have any idea where the title or any old registrations were. Plate on it was assigned to a old Caddy which wasn't even in the owners name so that was a dead end. I "sold" the car to RL in S Ga. He took it in and got a Georgia registration on it which made it legal then "sold" it back to me in Florida. I took that paper work to my DMV and they issued me a title which I used to sell the car to a over seas buyer.
    Brian Albrecht, Dano and pbr400 like this.
  10. pbr400

    pbr400 68GS400

    Georgia has gotten more strict in recent years, but what Briz did still works. (Georgia doesn’t require titles after a certain age and allows registration ftom a bill of sale. If you then sell that car to someone in a state that requires titles, they recognize Georgia’s registration and issue one.) Where Georgia is more strict now is that, if the VIN isn’t in the state computer, they require a LEO to fill out and sign a form that affirms inspection of the car and that the VIN was ‘run’ and verified as not stolen. Basically it prevents the registering of cars that aren’t actually here. (Or cuts it down, anyway).
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Briz and Dano like this.
  11. 436'd Skylark

    436'd Skylark Sweet Fancy Moses!!!!!

    Here in vt all you need is a bill ot sale and then you'll be issued a transferable registration... they might require a vin inspection but it's rare.
    Dano likes this.
  12. jaye

    jaye Well-Known Member

    In SC for my 65 Fairlane which didn’t have titles, the owner filed out a SC form, I contacted his local DMV and they did a search and wrote me a letter stating it wasn’t stolen. I took both forms to SC dmv and they gave me a title.
    Dano likes this.
  13. NZ GS 400

    NZ GS 400 Gold Level Contributor

    I had a similar problem in Texas. I had an old title that wasn't in the current seller's name. I went to a place to get a "bonded title". Then the car was in my name. I can remember that I needed a bill of sale. Not too complicated sorry I don't remember the details but Google is your friend.
    Dano likes this.

Share This Page