Refueling these old cars with the gas filler behind the license plate

Discussion in 'Wet behind the ears??' started by STREETFIGHTER50, Sep 8, 2019.

  1. buick64203

    buick64203 Just plum crazy Staff Member

    I like how you have to take a knee when gassing up. All new cars you get to stand up!!
    Brett Slater likes this.
  2. Mark Demko

    Mark Demko Well-Known Member

    Center rear is the proper place for fuel fill, that way it doesn't matter what side of the pump your on:D
    Lucy Fair, 1973gs, BYoung and 6 others like this.
  3. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member

  4. Brett Slater

    Brett Slater Super Moderator Staff Member

    Wholeheartedly agree!
  5. Briz

    Briz Platinum Level Contributor

    And the correct place for a dimmer switch is the upper left of the floor board!
  6. 1972Mach1

    1972Mach1 Just some M.M.O.G. guy.....

    Not sure where the fuel fill is, but '71-72 had the license plate offset to the driver's side.
  7. StfSocal

    StfSocal Well-Known Member

    Yep...I read that It was stated the way I thought. 70 vented, 71-72 not vented.
  8. Steve73GS

    Steve73GS 73 GEE YES

    Fortunately, our cars are super economical so no need to re-fuel often.;)
    1973gs and BYoung like this.
  9. pbr400

    pbr400 68GS400

    I remember in about 1980-81 my mom would pull up to the pump at the neighborhood service station (yes, service!) and ask for ‘two dollars please’ in our ‘76 Electra. That was barely three gallons.
  10. BrunoD

    BrunoD Looking for Fast Eddie

    When we discuss cars here,most of the time we talk about 70-72 and 64-69A body,not 225' these are not vented,in my lifetime I had only a 70 225,so not too familiar with the 71,73 225.
  11. alleyyooper

    alleyyooper Well-Known Member

    I love the rear BHTP filler on our LeSabre. funny how many people think I am going to just pull thru the Island then have to back up to allow me to open the plate and tank. I let the pump run till the nozzle shuts off then bounce the rear of the car to burp the air out and fill it more.

    Almost always draws a few older people who want to tell me about a old Buick they once owned, or a behind the plate filler.

    :D Al
    Brett Slater likes this.
  12. alleyyooper

    alleyyooper Well-Known Member

    Never take a Knee, that is a foot ball term.

    1985 Buick LeSabre, pull rear plate down Remove gas cap and install it in the plate holder do hicky. Insert the fuel nozzle squeese the trigger and set the catch. When the catch automatically releases bounce the rear to help trapped air excape. Squeeze the nozzle trigger again till it auto shuts down. At this point ypu can return the nozzle to the pump, or bounce the car again (the Lesabre takes 3 good bounces to get full.) and squeeze the trigger again, always takes a good 5 extra gallons.
    There is no bending over to fill the fuel tank on our leSabre just a slight bend at the waist.

    :D Al
    STREETFIGHTER50 likes this.

    STREETFIGHTER50 Well-Known Member

    I know I’ll do it at the next fill up! :)
  14. Mark Demko

    Mark Demko Well-Known Member

    I've never done the gas cap in the license plate thingy.
    With my luck it would fall, or pop out and roll directly under the center of the car:mad:
  15. Mike B in SC

    Mike B in SC Well-Known Member

    If you do it right, the spring tension holds it in place quite well!
    Mark Demko likes this.
  16. OZGS455

    OZGS455 Oh what a wonderful day!

    I do the cap jammed in the plate to hold it down on my '71 Skylark, but whats this bouncing to burp business?
  17. 2manybuicks

    2manybuicks Platinum Level Contributor

    I use gas caps on a variety of cars to hold the gas lever at those places that are stupid enough to remove the little stainless notch plate in the handle.
    Chi-Town67, pbr400 and Brett Slater like this.
  18. Mark Demko

    Mark Demko Well-Known Member

    LOL, I wouldn't do it right:p:rolleyes:o_O:confused::mad:
  19. alleyyooper

    alleyyooper Well-Known Member

    On Our LeSabre there is a nice little moulded in gas cap holder on the right side of the plate holder. If I remember I will get a picture today.

    I have used the cap in the nozzle leaver my self. Been so long I cant remember when the last time was. Maybe when filling diesel in my 91 Dodge.

    Burping is so theing I just do. shake my truck side to side same with Kares ride the Buick I bounce like testing the shocks and it will take nearly 10 more gallons when I do it. Gague needle swings way past the F mark.

    :D Al
  20. OZGS455

    OZGS455 Oh what a wonderful day!

    this burping thing interests me cos when I fill mine , or it appears to accept no more the gauge is only a tad over 3/4 and when I fill it up showing empty it only takes 40 ish litres and the tank supposedly holds 76 litres so at Empty its still got 36 litres in it....maybe....or maybe not.
    Ill have to try this burping caper!
    johnriv67 likes this.

Share This Page