Areas of concern when looking to buy

Discussion in 'The ragtop shop' started by 455'ed80Regal, Dec 9, 2021.

  1. 455'ed80Regal

    455'ed80Regal Well-Known Member

    Good day all,
    I'm looking to possibly buy a '71 Skylark Custom convertible. Car has had some work done to it, most notably a new top. As I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to convertibles, are there any areas of concern I need to look for that might be a deal breaker?

  2. Buicksky

    Buicksky Gold Level Contributor

    Like a hardtop, Frame rust, rust around front windshield and dash top. Look for rust in trunk and floors outer rear wheel wells and quarter panel . All this can be fixed but can be costly if you can't fix yourself. Look for door sag when the door is released from the door latch
    12lives likes this.
  3. Dano

    Dano Platinum Level Contributor

    What Tony said only it's typically worse on convertibles & the quarters/wheelhouses aren't reproduced - Many have been patched up. Floors (esp. trunk), A-Pillars, header panel on top frame, etc.
    12lives likes this.
  4. srb

    srb Well-Known Member

    Area under the battery.
    Max Damage likes this.
  5. 69 GS 400

    69 GS 400 Well-Known Member

    Get it on a hoist if you can . Check the panel edges and bottom edge of rockers if it doesn't look like it was built with factory spot welds and minimal seam sealer , there could be serious issues. Remember to do panel and trunk pan replacement + bodywork and paint could easily cost $30,000 plus. If you are not sure pay a reputable bodyman to have a look at it for you.
  6. Max Damage

    Max Damage I'm Working on it!

    So true.

Share This Page