Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default The Downside To Owning A Classic Car

Sure, it's great fun owning a classic car. You enjoy driving it around, going to shows, seeing the admiring looks, receiving all the compliments. That is, until one day you get into a fender bender - then you learn about the downside. You learn how hard it is to find decent sheet metal for these old cars, especially if you are unlucky enough to own a "one-year model" like my 1970 Skylark. My car was damaged over 4 months ago, and still sits forlornly in my garage, waiting to be repaired. See this link to my earlier post, describing the wreck and showing photos of the damage:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...er)&highlight=

My insurance company (Hagerty) was great - they had the damage appraised and a check in my hands within a week. But what good does the money do me, if I can't get the car repaired? It seems that decent used passenger side front fenders for 1970 Skylarks are practically impossible to find. I have tried every local source I can think of, to no avail. I talked to Mark Northcutt up in Lubbock, but he can't help me. I am sure there are '70 Skylarks being parted out somewhere in the world, but not around here (Midland, TX). I have located rotted-out fenders down on the Gulf coast, but no good solid pieces. Even if I could find a fender, if it is not within reasonable driving distance so I can go pick it up it doesn't do me any good, because they either won't ship it or want a zillion dollars to do so. The insurance appraiser found a new OEM fender at Parts Place in Dekalb, IL, but they want $1500.00 for the fender, PLUS shipping, and then it will still have to be cut apart and "corrected to the proper shape" before it can be used. I doubt my local body shop is qualified to do that particular surgery. So I am stuck with a damaged car, and no way to get it fixed, and it is really making me depressed. I am starting to think seriously about trying to sell it to someone "as is", just to get it out of my garage and out of my sight.

Yes, I know there are many excellent body shops out there that are fully capable of repairing my car, but they are all on the other side of the country. That doesn't help me - I have no way to get the car to them short of having it shipped. That would be cost prohibitive, and more hassle than the car is worth. Unless I can locate a good fender so the repair can be done locally, I am stuck SOL.

So here is my advice to people thinking about buying any classic car: thoroughly investigate the "repairability" of the particular model, including major body repair, before you spend your hard-earned cash. Doing so might save you a lot of heartache down the road.
    Chuck

(EX) 1970 Buick Skylark (sold it)

Default Re: The Downside To Owning A Classic Car

Now I'm curious, what did Hagerty value your fender replacement at if it is going to cost $1500 to get another one?

The curvature surgery is no big issue. I will sell you a pair of NOS 70-72 fenders for $1500.00. The only extra one I have is for the driver's side. But I do not want to take responsibility for shipping. They would have to pay someone else to do that.
    Jim Lore
    BPG 1037
    "If you cannot clear up the confusion at least make the confusion clear."

The damage appraisal done by Hagerty's agent was extremely thorough and, IMHO, very fair. It included the replacement of the inner fender, the outer fender, and the trim around the wheel well. It also included painting the fender to match the car, including "blending" the paint into the hood and the passenger door. The total bottom line, including all parts and labor, came to $4000. Minus my $200 deductible, I got a check for $3800. I HIGHLY recommend Hagerty for your classic car insurance business. Based on my recent experience, I would say their customer service is outstanding.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Jim,

I appreciate your offer, and will certainly keep it in mind, but you see the problems I face. First, I don't need both fenders, just one of them. Second, the shipping problem: people just don't want to ship these things. I have been told they are often damaged during shipment, either due to being improperly "packaged", or mis-handled. They are big, bulky, hard to lift and move, and a major pain in the you know what to ship. The only way to really assure safe transport is to go get it yourself. Except I don't own a vehicle that will carry a Buick fender. It's a "Catch 22" situation.
    Chuck

Consider having someone from Texas who may be going to BG this fall pick them up and bring them back to you. having the pair may not be a bad investment, as you could keep the spare for a rainey day, or sell it to re-coup part of your investment
    Drop a few dollars on someone to cover gas and I bet it could be done.

If that cant be done, consider buying a patch kit and let the body do the work to a fender that may have some rust on the bottom. it really isnt the worst thing in the world to have it cut out and repaired, finnished properly you would never know it was even there
    Mark
    marklob@gmail.com
    BCA # 26601

1970 GS 455 4 speed Convertible
    1986 T Type with factory leather interior
    1972 Skylark Coupe
    1967 Skylark Convertible
    1962 Invicta Convertible

cjp69 is offline Platinum Level Contributor

you could also use http://www.uship.com/ and very easily find someone to transport a fender for you at a reasonable price, at least they could get it close enough you could rent a u haul truck for 4 hours and meet them somewhere and pick it up.
    Chris

You need to find a parts car....like this.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/1971skylark/
    Korrie

"Mayor of Swaggerville"...where women faint at the sight of rippling biceps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'69 Special Deluxe Wagon
    '70 GS Stage1
    '72 GS Stage2

Austin, TX Craigslist
    The passenger side is straight but the bottom under the trim has some rust but it's all behind where the rocker trim would go.
    Good solid original pair of fenders, $125 per side and I will seprate.
    South Austin, TX Craigslist
    A lot of stuff has sold, but I still have both front fenders
    Sent from my computer, using a keyboard.
    กกกก ʞ ɐ ɥʇıʍ pǝllǝds s,ʇɐɥʇ ʍoN -----> ʞıɹƎ

"No, it's a Buick Centurian Riveria post sedan Grand Sport convertable with a straight six Nailhead 455, V8 of course...."

Exactly why I have 2 parts cars. I can get hit several times and come out OK.
    ROA Member # 13359
    BCA #46919
    BPG #2320
    68 Riviera: Show car.
    78 Regal:Track car 1.47 60'- 7.19 1/8 mile, 11.83 1/4

Isn't V-8 the GREAEST!!!! The options that have been given are something to consider. At least two of them ARE in Texas.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    465 Glenbrook Rd
    Stamford, CT 06906-1820
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads

"If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

V8Buick is indeed a great group of people!

I'm afraid the "parts car" idea would not work for me - I have no place to store it where it would not be a eyesore to the neighbors.

I will definitely follow up on the leads in the Austin area - that would be a long, but do-able, 1-day round trip in a rental truck. I have been trying to watch Craigslist for the nearby big cities, but I somehow missed those...

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful replies and support.
    Chuck

Yeah, but have you tried finding panels, or something like a front core support for a newer, plastic car? My neighbor had a ton of trouble finding a front core support for his 2000ish Jeep Grand Cherokee. He ended up finally finding one in a junkyard and still paid a lot of money for it. New cars are really expensive to have fixed too. In fact, a lot of the time, if the car isnt worth a lot of money, the insurance companies will just total it, because it costs more to replace a body panel on a new car, than the car is worth. Those new cars sell for like 20 thousand dollars, but the second you drive it off the lot, you can cut that in half, and cut it in half for every year after that that you drive it, if you drive it conservatively. So a 5 year old car is usually worth somewhere around 2500 bucks, and, including labor, accident damages can cost more than that easily. Even relatively minor accidents.