Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Exessive distributer gear wear. Why?

Hi guys!
    Ijust pulled my distributer out noticed that the gear had an excessive wear to it. I had a peek down the dist hole an could notic that there was a bit wear on the camshaft Gear also. But not as much as on the dist great.
    What's the reason for wear on the dist gear?
    Its a hei In a Buick 350.
    I know I need to change the gear on the dist but do I have to get me another camshaft?
    Cheers
    johan

Default Re: Exessive distributer gear wear. Why?

Does it have a hi volume oil pump? That is one of the ways to reduce the wear on the gear. What did the distributor gear look like when installed? Was there wear on it before? The good thing about a 350 is you can replace the gear that slides on the camshaft.The bad...You have to remove the waterpump and timing cover to do it. How many miles are on the motor? How is the timing chain and gear condition?
    Pat Harmon

1973 Century Gran Sport 4 speed
    1970 455 Skylark
    (3)1986 Century GS's

Want to wear the distributor gear, put more strain on the timing chain and front cam bearing? Use thicker oil, and/or a hi volume/high pressure pump, and wail on the engine before the oil warms up. There are people who actually do that, why, I don't know, but I've seen it first hand.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    Best E.T. 11.54@ 115.00. Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

Bronze gear or steel gear?

-BC
    1969 Buick Special 4-door, 455 w/ EFI

I had a cheap timing cover that caused the gear to wear poorly.
    TA has machined covers for $200. it's the way to go.
    69 Skylark
    470-BBB
    2004r- 3500 stall 9.5" lock-up
    3.73 12-bolt
    3900 lbs.

Dave Benisek+Bruce Kent
    2010 GS Nationals video
    http://youtu.be/nLD4Dugcv48

Thanks for your rapid answers!
    The car is new to me and I can't tell what the previous owner have been doing to the poor thing. I was about to upgrade the distributor with the crane kit and just wanted to check the condition of the gears when I discovered this.
    Its a steel gear. No idea if it's a high pressure oil pump or not. There have been things done to the engine such as ta stage one manifold. Hooker headers. But I don't know if there's something done to the interior of the motor. Where can I get a hold of new gears and the outer parts I need to fix this?
    Im located in sweden so that's why I'm asking !
    Thanks
    johan

Quote Originally Posted by flatire View Post
    I had a cheap timing cover that caused the gear to wear poorly.
    TA has machined covers for $200. it's the way to go.
    They have what? Their new covers are $500, do they repair/rebuild OEM covers too?
    Jon Baker (just like the guy in CHiPs)

1967 skylark, 455, th400, in process
    2003 Regal LS. Not a v-8 or supercharged, but I still like that car. Heck of a stereo in there now too.

Quote Originally Posted by desolator View Post
    Hi guys!
    Ijust pulled my distributer out noticed that the gear had an excessive wear to it. I had a peek down the dist hole an could notic that there was a bit wear on the camshaft Gear also. But not as much as on the dist great.
    What's the reason for wear on the dist gear?
    Its a hei In a Buick 350.
    I know I need to change the gear on the dist but do I have to get me another camshaft?
    Cheers
    johan
    What I would do is swap on another gear and then drive it about 1000 miles and check on it. If it is worn badly then look into why at that point. Like Larry said, make sure you are not using too thick of oil and only rev the engine up when it is already warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    They have what? Their new covers are $500, do they repair/rebuild OEM covers too?
    TA sells a good timing cover for the 350 as mentioned above:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...prod=TA%5F1530

And the best bet for a BBB timing cover is this one here that works great:

http://www.finishlinemotorsports.com/
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark 350 street/strip with 6 point cage: Custom tube headers feed Twin T3/T4 Turbochargers, Holley 650, sheet metal single plane intake, heavily ported iron heads with oversized valves, mild Poston 114 camshaft (2800-6000 RPM), Diamond forged pistons on Hershe forged rods, balanced, ARP everywhere, dual 3" exhaust, Paddle shifted 4L80E 4 speed overdrive, Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gear.

Hey Sean!
    My experience with engines are compleatly with Chevys I'm afraid... Do you mean both gears? Some one above mentioned that Buick 350 have the ability to "just swap" the drive gear on the camshaft out. Not the compleat cam? Am I right? The drive gear had some "wear" on it but not as bad as the gear on the dist.
    Cheers
    johan

I was saying to just swap the one on the dist. for now just since it saves the hassle of removing the timing cover... But yes it is best to swap them both at the same time, and yes you can remove the gear off the cam... If you are taking the engine appart then sure do both.

Here is a quote that might help if you do have this issue again with a new gear:

Quote Originally Posted by MNBelv57 View Post
    Hello all,
    I think I figured out what has been causing my distributor gear to wear out so quickly. When I first discovered the problem I think I misdiagnosed it as the oil pump gears binding due to improper clearance issues. I took out the KB spacer and tall, high volume pump gears & went to the T/A plate and stock gears & a bronze distributor gear (as the wearing dist. gear eventually wore out the cam gear) since if it happened again I would only have to change one gear. Well, after a short run time it did happen to the bronze gear. Again thinking it was the oil pump, I took the T/A plate out & just stuck with the stock setup. I installed a steel gear this time & again shortly after running, the gear had started to get chewed up on two gears with a wear pattern in the center of the gear. If left to run longer it would have ground the gear on all the teeth to sharp edges & then done the same to the cam gear probably ending with oil pump failure and engine damage. This time I pulled the timing chain cover & when I pulled the cam gear & then the pump eccentric, I noticed two small "F"'s opposite each other, on the side that was facing the chain. The shop manual photo was unclear even though they made reference to the way the eccentric should be installed. Thanks to "trishieldfan", who sent me a good photo, I saw that the gear had been installed improperly by the mechanic that assembled it some years ago. When I simulated putting the cam gear & eccentric together the "wrong way" & then meshing the dist. gear with the cam gear, I saw how the dist. gear must be contacting the flat side of the pump eccentric. When put the right way, the "oil groove" seems to have enough spacing to miss the dist. gear. I hope this is the problem & will keep you all updated when I reassemble everything. Thanks for all your input guys.
    Mario.

And there is some info in here about other reasons for wear to the gears:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...utor+gear+wear
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark 350 street/strip with 6 point cage: Custom tube headers feed Twin T3/T4 Turbochargers, Holley 650, sheet metal single plane intake, heavily ported iron heads with oversized valves, mild Poston 114 camshaft (2800-6000 RPM), Diamond forged pistons on Hershe forged rods, balanced, ARP everywhere, dual 3" exhaust, Paddle shifted 4L80E 4 speed overdrive, Moser 12 bolt with 3.42 gear.

Thanks again !
    I have the hole front end of the car disassembled so I have really easy access. I think I will pull the timing cover an replace both gears and in the same time duble check the"f's" I think that's best because I found some Other mechanical indicators pointing in the direction that the guys who did the previous
    mechaical jobs on this engine didnt have a clue.
    What parts do I need to order to make this happen? Ill swap the front crank seal also
    cheers johan

Thanks again !
    I have the hole front end of the car disassembled so I have really easy access. I think I will pull the timing cover an replace both gears and in the same time duble check the"f's" I think that's best because I found some Other mechanical indicators pointing in the direction that the guys who did the previous
    mechaical jobs on this engine didnt have a clue.
    What parts do I need to order to make this happen? Ill swap the front crank seal also
    cheers johan
    If it was me I would swap in a TA212 cam and new lifters at the same time, I only say that because you are almost at that point when you get the timing cover off.

I use these bronze gears on the dist...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUICK198-231...sories&vxp=mtr

The Cam gear:

http://www.taperformance.com/search.asp

Also a good idea to get a good timing set:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...?prod=TA_1521B

Sounds like good idea! What's ta 212 like? Do you gain hp thru the hole range? I'm more for low and mid end tourq. Is that the cam to go for? The bad thing is that I don't no what's been done to the engine regarding pistons etc....
    i have the digits " 13.010 " stamped at the driver side front end of the head. What's that? Is it decked?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...r/58a75961.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...r/0e3c5aaf.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Sounds like good idea! What's ta 212 like? Do you gain hp thru the hole range? I'm more for low and mid end tourq. Is that the cam to go for? The bad thing is that I don't no what's been done to the engine regarding pistons etc....
    i have the digits " 13.010 " stamped at the driver side front end of the head. What's that? Is it decked?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...r/58a75961.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...r/0e3c5aaf.jpg
    The TA-212 cam is the best all around cam I have used on the 350... It has great mid range, and top end power. It is better than the stock cam at virtually all RPM...

What I would do is do a compression check to make sure your cylinder pressures are not too high or low and if it checks out swap in the TA212 cam... If your compression numbers are really high then I would suggest another cam but likely you would be fine.

The other way to do it is remove the heads, measure the Cubic Centimeters of volume of the heads, measure the piston depth from the deck, as well as the piston dish CC and then you can calculate the actual static compression. If you are between 8.5 and 10:1 then the TA212 cam would be fine.

Cool! Thanks
    What do you think about those digits that's been hand stamped in front end on the driver side head? Please se pictures above

EW.

Something's amiss with the oil pump applying excessive pressure to the distributor.
    I would pull the oil pump's bypass spring and valve. Make sure that they are actually in working condition. Get an oil pressure gauge too.
    72 Skylark