Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default 200-4r behind 350

Anyone installed a 200-4R behind a 350 with a quadrajet? Looks like I can get clearence for the tv linkage if I use a one inch spacer under the carb. Was thinking of a Lokar cable setup, has anyone used this setup? Is the geometry correct with the Lokar? Its a stock 350 for hiway use only, using a B and M converter lockup.

Default Re: 200-4r behind 350

Quote Originally Posted by spw1967 View Post
    Anyone installed a 200-4R behind a 350 with a quadrajet? Looks like I can get clearence for the tv linkage if I use a one inch spacer under the carb. Was thinking of a Lokar cable setup, has anyone used this setup? Is the geometry correct with the Lokar? Its a stock 350 for hiway use only, using a B and M converter lockup.
    Sounds like the same issues that are had with the 455 about the TV cable mount being too low and hitting the intake. I don't know why someone doesn't just rotate the darned thing 15 degrees and make it work that way. I'm not a welder but it is simple geometry.

This is what is used on my car with good results but with a 1" spacer like you believe you will need. I think 1/2" would probably be enough. With my B4B, it causes hood clearance issues. I suspect a 350 would have more clearance.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-376700/
    Greg -
    - - -
    1970 GS Stage 1 (owned since 1980) 4 wheel discs, turbo 200-4R, close ratio steering, tubular front
    1971 GS 350 (8/16/14) 4 speed, 91k stock

Have you looked for or tried any 3.8L brackets?
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklebusted View Post
    Sounds like the same issues that are had with the 455 about the TV cable mount being too low and hitting the intake. I don't know why someone doesn't just rotate the darned thing 15 degrees and make it work that way. I'm not a welder but it is simple geometry.

This is what is used on my car with good results but with a 1" spacer like you believe you will need. I think 1/2" would probably be enough. With my B4B, it causes hood clearance issues. I suspect a 350 would have more clearance.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-376700/
    Any chance you could post a pic of that as installed?
    Dean P.
    '72 Sun Coupe GSX
    w/Gorgeous West Tx Girl sittin' next to me
    My Sun Coupe resto thread: http://v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=216001
    My custom LED tail light install thread: http://v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=217969

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx88 View Post
    Any chance you could post a pic of that as installed?
    I've posted them before but I can't find the thread. Here they are again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg -
    - - -
    1970 GS Stage 1 (owned since 1980) 4 wheel discs, turbo 200-4R, close ratio steering, tubular front

Keep in mind that it is CRITICAL that the TV cable is set up right or the trans will only last about 1000 miles. The only sure way to set up the TV cable is by verifying the line pressures in the trans. Plus make sure the geometry is correct on the TV linkage or you are wasting your time.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Quote Originally Posted by sean Buick 76 View Post
    Keep in mind that it is CRITICAL that the TV cable is set up right or the trans will only last about 1000 miles. The only sure way to set up the TV cable is by verifying the line pressures in the trans. Plus make sure the geometry is correct on the TV linkage or you are wasting your time.
    Agreed but everyone mounts them out straight when the whole thing is an arc. If they mounted the TV cable slightly higher, say 15 degrees rotation higher, then mounted the TV carb stud 15 degrees rotated in the same direction, it still pulls the same amount without the clearance issues. There is no reason it couldn't be nearly as high as the throttle cable and pointed slightly down with the stud the same arc to preserve the same travel per throttle opening.
    Greg -
    - - -

Quote Originally Posted by knucklebusted View Post
    Agreed but everyone mounts them out straight when the whole thing is an arc. If they mounted the TV cable slightly higher, say 15 degrees rotation higher, then mounted the TV carb stud 15 degrees rotated in the same direction, it still pulls the same amount without the clearance issues. There is no reason it couldn't be nearly as high as the throttle cable and pointed slightly down with the stud the same arc to preserve the same travel per throttle opening.
    That's true. I've been toying with the idea of mounting the cable to the gas pedal inside the cabin for those cars running the older style push linkage setup. If you can find the pull distance for a carb mount then it just needs to be mounted at the right height on the pedal assembly to ensure the same pull distance. It's really just a matter of ensuring that the cable is pulled a specific distance as the throttle opens.
    "To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time."
    --Leonard Bernstein

Quote Originally Posted by bammax View Post
    That's true. I've been toying with the idea of mounting the cable to the gas pedal inside the cabin for those cars running the older style push linkage setup. If you can find the pull distance for a carb mount then it just needs to be mounted at the right height on the pedal assembly to ensure the same pull distance. It's really just a matter of ensuring that the cable is pulled a specific distance as the throttle opens.
    Wasn't that how the 350 turbo passing gear detent worked? The only thing I can say about the TV cable setup is that the pivot point is behind the rest location of the TV cable stud. As you pull it, you will get a slightly non-linear travel as the cable end travels in an arc rather than a straight line. It may be negligible but it should be noted.
    Greg -
    - - -

11. Default Re: 200-4r behind 350

Greg, Yer Right. When the cable gets to the full open position it goes up and not out. If you could mount a wheel or something like that on there with the cable on the outside Dia. of it, it would work. But clearence would still be an issue. I put a 350 in my '65 and with hood clearence issues. I bought a Wooden spacer for mine. I just kept running it through my Wood Planer till I got the thickness I needed. Easier than milling a metal One, for me anyway.
    PONCH

Cool Re: 200-4r behind 350

Quote Originally Posted by spw1967 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I have purchased a quadrajet from Everyday performance that has linkage for my application. Turns out the Qjet on my 350 is off a 455, will probably sell it after getting the new carb running. I have over 2'' of hood clearence so a 1" spacer under the carb for linkage should be fine.