Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Buick Green Paint Secret- Onan/Cummins

Since a suitable green color doesn't seem to be available for our nailhead engines, I have used Onan generator paint for mine,which seems to be a very close match to the original. I have used the POR-15 Buick Green which seems too pale to me,but right for the early nailhead engines. I have a '65 401 engine from a '65 Electra for parts and got a fresh can of paint from Onan last week. I blasted some on this parts engine. Here is a pic and see what you guys think of the color. Onan/Cummins is proud of this paint- $21 a spray can but covers well. When you are doing a proper rebuild/restoration, this Onan paint might be the way to go.

Default Re: Buick Green Paint Secret- Onan/Cummins

Seems pricey, but it does look good. Real good.
    William
    1966 Wildcat

IF ITS GOOD, IT AINT CHEAP. AND IF ITS CHEAP, IT AINT GOOD!

To me, it's worth the price. OEM Paints has a correct "Poly Spectra Blue" for certain '70's GM Pontiac and Olds engines . That stuff is over $34 a can! And hard to get. Classic Industries used to carry it but sells a cheaper alternative now @ $14. a can. I tried some. It is ok but nothing like the OEM color. I would rather pay the extra money. I have $100. in OEM paint on one Olds 455 I have. Onan says there a several different shades of their green. I told them I had an early '80's generator and needed the paint color for it. I didn't want to tell them that it was going to be used on a Buick engine!

Onan gets big money for their parts, but they are repackaged from all the usual suspects. I bought a set of points for a lawn mower in the mid- 70s when I worked for an auto parts store. In those days, the points alone were $8, but I went through the parts book from Standard Ignition, and found the same points for about $2. In another example, a guy came in from the Harley shop a couple of doors down, looking for ignition points. I looked at them, and they seemed familiar. We opened up the picture part of the catalog, and discovered that the points were the same ones as those used in the 4 and 6 cylinder GM distributors. We picked up so much business from the Harley guys that we actually started stocking the 50 and 60 weight non-detergent engine oils for them.
    '68 Buick Skylark California GS
    '00 Chevy Astro Van
    '70 Chevy 3/4 Ton Longhorn Custom Camper, numbers matching

I have literature from Buick that states that the engine color is blue in my 63 Wildcat and before I rebuilt it it was a greenish shade of blue which I couldn't find. I decided that I would just use what everyone else was using. This color you have found sure looks to be more correct than the Por 15 color. Good find.