Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Locked up rear brake drum....ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW TO GET IT LOOSE

IT'S ON A 65 sPORTWAGON. THE RIGHT REAR DRUM IS LOCKED UP. i THINK THE PARKING BRAKES WERE APPLIED AND WON'T COME LOOSE. tHE CABLES UNDERNEATH ARE LOOSE WITH NO TENSION. i ALSO CAN MOVE THE RIGHT SIDE CABLE BY HAND TO PULL IT. JUST THE INTERNALS ARE STUCK. THE LEFT SIDE MOVES BUT I CAN'T GET THE DRUM OFF DUE TO THE SHOES ARE OUT TOO FAR.

THE RIGHT SIDE WON'T BUDGE AT ALL. I'M TRYING NOT TO HAVE TO SPLIT THE DRUM TO GET IT OFF DUE TO THE WAGON DRUMS ARE NOT EASY TO FIND.

THE CAR HAS NO ACTUAL BRAKES AT ALL AT THIS POINT. THE PEDAL GOES TO THE FLOOR. I HAVE IT JACKED UP AND THE REAR WHEELS OFF. I PUT IT IN GEAR TO SEE IF I COULD GET IT LOOSE BUT ONLY THE LEFT SIDE WHEEL SPINS(KIND OF).

I ALSO PUT TWO LUG NUTS ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND PUT A TIRE IRON IN BETWEEN THE LUG NUTS AND HIT IT WITH A 10 LBS SLEDGE. LOOKED LIKE IT WANTED TO MOVE BUT DIDN'T.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN TO SPLIT THE DRUM?

IT'S DARK NOW AND WILL BE A TASK FOR TOMORROW.

THANKS.
    Brian G.
    Current rides/Projects
    1964 Skylark Coupe (blue)-355
    1965 Skylark Coupe(Blue)-300/Auto
    1965 Sport Wagon-(yellow)- 300 Auto,
    1965 Skylark-dreamsicle ( orange and white w/ air ride)
    1964 FORD Falcon Squire Wagon

Default Re: Locked up rear brake drum....ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW TO GET IT LOOSE

The way Ive unstuck brakes in the past is to have someone pull the car slowly with a rope as you walk along and bang on the wheel with a hammer. Usuallly unsticks them pretty succcessfully.

As far as the on that too far adjusted out, have you tried to back off the adjustment on the star wheel? Could be just a major ridge on the drum that your having a problem with
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1971 Skylark Custom convertible
    1972 GS-350 project car
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

You can always cut the two retaining pin heads(4 and 8 o'clock positions) on the backside of the backing plate...this will allow you to pull the drum out from the backing plate and hammer/slide out the adjuster and then the shoes will collapse.
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

Quote Originally Posted by GStage1 View Post
    You can always cut the two retaining pin heads(4 and 8 o'clock positions) on the backside of the backing plate...this will allow you to pull the drum out from the backing plate and hammer/slide out the adjuster and then the shoes will collapse.
    I read that and thought, no way, that won't work, the ................ wait a minute, that is awesome. Really those are the only thing holding it on aren't they?

I love this board.
    Jon Baker (just like the guy in CHiPs)

1967 skylark, 455, th400, in process
    2003 Regal LS. Not a v-8 or supercharged, but I still like that car. Heck of a stereo in there now too.

Jason,

I tried putting the car in gear earlier prior to jacling it up. The car will not budge on it's own. I tried for the side that moves to turn I the adjuster but I gave up after a while. It was starting to get dark and I was out in the drive way with this thing. Can't roll it into the garage. I will mess with it again in the morning

I don't think anyone is strong enough to pull this car with a rope and if it was pulling it with a vehicle if the brake shoes came unstuck the car would not be able to stop since there is no brakes at all. If there was a chance of stopping I could see that working.

George,

I didn't think of your idea. I'm sure that will work. Hopefully the morning will work out better for me. I'm trying to get this thing running, rolling and stopping.

The wife wants it to keep rolling to someone elses address.

Thanks for the ideas!!!
    Brian G.
    Current rides/Projects

After jerking around with the thing 2 hours today I had the still split the right side drum. It just wouldn't come loose even after grinding the pins.

The left side the pins actually fell out on their own. It took me another 2 hours to get this one apart. Something was holding this as well. It didn't want to let go of the drum. The drum on the inside area was like a mountain scene. Some body must have ran this thing metal to metal years ago.

The rt side the I broke on half was a nice drum with allot of meat still on it. The left side grooves are so deep I don't think they will be able to cut it at the parts store.

The extra one that I did have left in the garage from a parts car is probably too thin for them to turn cut.

All I wanted to do was change the brake cylinders and check the brakes. I needed to get the wheel loose as well so I could move it now it's a major mess.
    Brian G.
    Current rides/Projects

I've done this, bummer it didn't work for you. The other "technique" I've seen applied is a good air hammer and good supply of air, pushing outwards along the rim of the drum.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

PM sent, AL.
    AL
    1972 GS Stage1 4-Speed
    1968 Corvette 327 4 Speed
    1984 Century Wagon 3.8
    1993 Park Avenue Ultra
    2005 Buick Terraza CXL
    2003 Mini Cooper
    2000 Monte Carlo SS

Brian,

Did you ever find out what originally caused the problem of your right rear drum to be locked up? I've got the same problem on my GS400 right now.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

'69 GS400 convertible. Factory Twilight blue with pearl bucket seats and white top.

---------------------------------------------------
    "The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

Most of the time...the hose from the frame to the pumpkin has internally collapsed not allowing fluid to flow back to the master cylinder....disconnect the line and see what happens.
    George Nenadovich
    Buick Performance Club Founder
    www.BuickPerformanceClub.com

Mine was the emergency brake was applied by the person moving it out of the storage unit. I'm not really sure why he applied it other than to pee me off.

I wound up changing every part and bought new drums. It was about a $500 fix by the time I was done and 2 weeks to get the correct rear brake parts .
    Brian G.
    Current rides/Projects

It's too late now, but-

1. The drum was probably not coming off due to the shoes bedded into the drum. Just cutting the nails off may not be enough, depending on how tight the other parts are. For future reference, you can pull the adjuster plug out of the backing plate and using two screwdrivers, back the adjuster all the way off. One skinny screwdriver to push the adjuster lever away from the star, and one to poke and spin the star.

2. If the shoes were bedded into the drums that far, they probably got pretty hot. The drums will expand when hot enough, and if you backed up a few times, the adjusters will have taken up the gap. Then when the parts cooled, it locked up.

3. IIRC, the wagons use the same width drum as the front. Is it the same exact drum? Again, IIRC, it is, so should be easy to find.

4. Yes, the hose can be swollen and cause this, as has been mentioned. You wouldn't think so, but a little hydraulic pressure goes a long way.
    '68 Buick Skylark California GS
    '00 Chevy Astro Van
    '70 Chevy 3/4 Ton Longhorn Custom Camper, numbers matching

Most of the time...the hose from the frame to the pumpkin has internally collapsed not allowing fluid to flow back to the master cylinder....disconnect the line and see what happens.
    I've been bouncing around the internet and found this mentioned more than once and explained well on a Ford truck site:

Replace the rear flexible brake line, the one between the frame feed and the rear axle. It has a rubber line attached to a block; the two rear axle brake lines screw into it. The block is mounted to the rear axle on the driver's side, and is held in place by the vent tube.
    Over time, the insides of the lines swell shut internally. The brake pedal pressure is enough to push fluid to the rear wheel cylinders and set the brakes, but the shoe springs cannot overcome the pressure to return the shoes and unlock the drum.
    Usually this happens over time as the rubber lines get older, and your truck isn't that old, but if you have replaced all the other components, I would replace this before seeing a mechanic.

Thanks guys. I'll follow up with my findings.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks:

'69 GS400 convertible. Factory Twilight blue with pearl bucket seats and white top.

"The Buick-and the things of the Buick-had become his passion." Stephen King (Novel:From A Buick 8)

"Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex." Marvin the Martian (Bugs Bunny show)

Too late now, but I vise grip the cable an inch before it goes into the cable casing and hammer the grips towards the casing...it shoves the cable back into the casing, releasing the brake lever. Works every time.
    No, its not a chevy motor

Steve Mario

'71 Skylark, street/strip beater w/JW and T/A goodies!

(JW prepped 462 short block, ported T/A Stage 1 TE heads w/stage 3 valves, 1050 Dominator, Super Scavenger headers, 3400 stall TH400, runs on pump gas, and leaves brown skid marks on the passenger seat.)

My GS's problem was indeed the flexible brake line from the frame crossmember to the rear differential. I managed to change it without ruining any of the original metal brake lines.

I guess it's been my month for "freak" mechanical issues. The boys 1995 GMC Sierra was dying intermittently. That turned out to be the ignition switch & harness below the lock cylinder on the steering column.
    Brian Albrecht

Current V8 Buicks: