Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wheel Vintiques Buick Steel Rallys - Really Bad Experience.

my 15x7 rallyes, thru summit 2005, came from wheel vintiques. the centres are not new, only the rim shells are. my wheels were true and balanced with no problems.
    i do have two complaints - i have one rim with a spot where the chrome isgoing via rust and one there rim where a small strip of black paint was missing from day one.
    Gerry
    1972 GS 350 ht #s
    2008 Astra XR 3 door
    2011 Chevy Cruze

I cant be the only one with rust issues on these wheels? Jennifer's WV Magnum 500 wheels are totally destroyed from being left outside.

I find it funny how 40 year old rallyes can be just fine outside, but new rallyes rust up in a day or two of rain.
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1987 Grand National
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Quote Originally Posted by buick64203 View Post
    I cant be the only one with rust issues on these wheels? Jennifer's WV Magnum 500 wheels are totally destroyed from being left outside.

I find it funny how 40 year old rallyes can be just fine outside, but new rallyes rust up in a day or two of rain.
    You may be seeing the results of their process adjustments due to the mandatory elimination of Hexavalent Chromium a few years ago. I was going to try & write up my own thoughts about why corrosion resistance can be worse while their costs and difficulty in process control increase, but Wikipedia did it better:

One of the disadvantages when the [trivalent chromium plating] process was first introduced was that decorative customers disapproved of the color differences, however additives are now used to adjust the color. In hard coating applications, the corrosion resistance of thicker coatings is not quite as good as hexavalent chromium. The cost of the chemicals is greater, however this is usually offset by greater production rates and lower overhead costs. In general, the process must be controlled more closely than in hexavalent chromium plating, especially with respect to metallic impurities. This means processes that are hard to control, such as barrel plating, are much more difficult using a trivalent chromium bath.
    Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

I'll never buy another WV wheel ever again...
    My next set of wheels will be 17" aluminum, rally wheels can go on for shows.
    BPG Member #1023
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    My next set of wheels will be 17" aluminum, rally wheels can go on for shows.
    It's not just wheels. Try getting the 68/69 chrome air cleaner lid from The Parts Place. Started pitting/rusting inside the house in 2 months
    a howitzer with windshield wipers

Quote Originally Posted by dl7265 View Post
    It's not just wheels. Try getting the 68/69 chrome air cleaner lid from The Parts Place. Started pitting/rusting inside the house in 2 months
    inside the house???

Wheels are HUGE on how the car works....STILL have a vibe spot at 39-43 mph or so, took several tries to get them that good..basically wheels are out of round, not much a guy can do, rims have been on car for couple years so no point calling them...wasted enough time and money on those things. I just make a point of never staying in that speed, but till should that be required with new rims??

Seems everything is crap these days.
    BPG Member #1023
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Seems everything is crap these days.
    Bingo!
    Jason Cook
    BPG #1675
    "Expert in obsolete technology"

1968 Riviera GS- some assembly required
    1969 Riviera GS- my first car
    1970 Stage 1 4 speed Aquamist
    1971 GS 455 11.93@113.36
    1987 Grand National
    1970 Stellar Industries vintage go kart

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty

Bingo!
    a howitzer with windshield wipers

True some of the chemicals might have changed due to EPA regs over the years, but it is still possible to get a beautiful, spot on and durable chrome job these days. The shop just has to do the job right and not cut corners.

It costs $500 plus for a nice triple chrome plating job on an already nice bumper core. Wheel mfg's dont put this type of plating on mass produced wheels since it would drive the cost up and away from most of their customers. A set of (4) Buick Ralley's would be $1,500 plus out the door and ready to go, around twice what a set from WV costs.

As an example, what does Kleiner charge to restore a set of WG's to factory correct, concourse detail? I dont know myself, but I would almost bet you would be looking at $1,500 plus for top quality work.

Quote Originally Posted by No Lift View Post
    I'd just thought I'd mention that any of the wheels that use a "new" center section and not a cut out center from a used wheel are "lug-centric" and must be balanced by the lugs and not the typical cone type unit that centers it. I've had sets from Wheel Vintiques and Specialty Wheel and had them balanced that way with no problem. 15x7 & 15x8

If it really is a new wheel there will be a sticker on it saying "lug-centric" and needs to be balanced that way.

If you call around to some tire places you should be able to find a place that does it. My regular place tried to do it the normal way and he said it couldn't be done. Had it done the right way and it was fine. It is just an adapter that replaces the centering cone on the balancer with lugs they bolt the wheel to.
    Getting a wheel Lug centric balanced is a major pain around here. The shops look at me like I'm nuts when I try to explain the difference between hub centric and lug centric balancing.
    Bob Gable
    70 GS Foe Fiddy 5

Shouldn't all rallye wheels be lug balanced? What is the difference between an orig. wheel and a rebuilt with old center and new rimshell? As far as I know no one is reproducing the rallye center.

How about the American Racing AR500's? I always thought they would look good on a older Buick.------------------->

Bob Gable
    70 GS Foe Fiddy 5

No Lift is offline Platinum Level Contributor

Maybe I'm lucky around here. I just called a few places and one of them had the adapter to do it. I think more and more places are getting the necessary equipment because some of the newer custom wheels have to be balanced that way.

Two sets of wheels I have do have NEW centers. They were bought a few years back. Then the builders ran out of them because they came from China or some other place that stopped producing them. That is why the big name places stopped listing them for a while or they were long term backordered.

If you are using a used center section it should be ok to regular balance it. I have custom ones of those also. I'm thinking that it is hard to produce a stamping that accurately aligns the hub and the lugs. GM probably had the company that made them come up with some high tolerence machines and the Chinese stuff probably won't/can't get it as accurate for cheap.

I believe some of the problem with the chrome is the new stuff is what you might call "show chrome". Compared to a factory chrome wheel it gleams. I'm sure GM specified some "lifetime" of a minimum of 10 years or something like that where it could be exposed to the weather without rust and the final look was secondary. The new stuff is just worried about the look and probably figures on higher maintainence to keep them nice or don't leave them out in the weather. One of my chrome ones was on the car sitting outside and started to develope a rust spot where something took a leak on it.

I've had different aftermarket wheels on my cars over the years and all of them required high maintainence to keep them nice when they are used on a daily basis, the chrome especially and even the aluminum. None of them were what you would call high dollar stuff so I don't know how they would work.
    Mike Pesarchick
    BPG #1572
    NE GSGN #29
    GSCA #8
    USFRA "130 MPH Club" member

I bought American Racing AR500 8x17 wheels for my car.
    Three of them was leaking (small holes because of bad welding)
    Bad quality, but the wheels looks nice on the car !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eivind Torsdalen, Lives in Seljord City , Norway
    -Buick 1966 Conv. 455/462 , TH2004R Level 3 Bowtie Overdrives.
    -1970 Buick GS 2dht 455 Stage 1 (Sloan Documented)

That they do look nice.
    George
    72 skylark 455
    96 dodge 3500 dually
    04 jeep cherokee
    03 yamaha v-star 1100 classic

Quote Originally Posted by dl7265 View Post
    That's why some of us replate/ triple plate our ORIGINAL lids
    George D
    1969 GS 400 convertible
    1969 Stage 1 4 speed 'Maroon goon'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq4Frfh5ldE

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Buick View Post
    Getting a wheel Lug centric balanced is a major pain around here. The shops look at me like I'm nuts when I try to explain the difference between hub centric and lug centric balancing.
    Try your Toyota dealer. Many 4-runners and small pickups with aftermarket wheels installed by dealers have lug-centric wheels.
    BadBrad
    '70 GS455 - Power Brute Super T10 4spd
    ex. '70 GSX
    New Project: 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis - for the kids to drive.
    New Muscle: 2013 Ford Taurus SHO - Twin Turbo Terror

Spare 455 on the stand, just in case!

Slideshow of BadBrad's Car: http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

For lug centric balancing you need a 5-fingered Haweka adapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12