Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: '73 GS Stage 1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default '73 GS Stage 1

    Well everyone it's offical, I just acquired another 73 GS...Stage 1. Car runs great and I'll be getting ready to paint it soon, back to the original color, Midnight Blue.

    Fairly low option car, Stage 1 package, A/C, AM/FM radio, door moldings, Black bench seat with TH-400. That's pretty much it.

    Plan to just upgrade the camshaft and intake a little later on, but for now, it's nice having a stock car... wanna see what it will run in the 1/4 stock.

    After I paint it I'll post some more pictures. More updates to come.

    Look out Phil, I'm starting to catch up with you with all these 73s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  2. #2

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Congrats - thats a very cool car...

    I'm interested to hear what you run. For context, I ran a 15.0 flat in mine with no tuning, just fresh gas after sitting for 23 years. Not even plugs. (I did change the oil!)

    Good luck, and please keep us posted.
    Rhett

    65 Gran Sport Convertible
    71 GS455 - Unconfirmed Stage1
    73 Gran Sport Stage1 4spd
    72 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible

    71 GS455 Conv. 4spd Tribute - Sold, now a Swedish citizen
    66 Corvair Monza 140 4spd Convertible - Sold, presumed Hurricane Sandy victim

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olathe, Kansas
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Congrats, good luck
    72 GS 455 Stg 1, 4speed

    Mike Bokarae
    Olathe Kansas

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NEENAH Wi
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Welcome to 73 Stage 1 ownership! We are a RARE breed!
    1965 Olds Delta 88 Holiday Hardtop-GONE
    1972 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban Wagon-Project
    1973 Buick GS Stage 1
    1988 Plymouth Gran Fury (Demo car)-Now a Tin Can
    2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpig455 View Post
    Congrats - thats a very cool car...

    I'm interested to hear what you run. For context, I ran a 15.0 flat in mine with no tuning, just fresh gas after sitting for 23 years. Not even plugs. (I did change the oil!)

    Good luck, and please keep us posted.
    Rhett,

    Thanks! I remember I posted a picture of the backing bracket for the gran sport grille emblem on the thread about your car...just wanted to let you know that this Stage 1 didn't have the bracket my 455 car has. Instead the speed nuts just go right up against the grille, so I left it that way and was just careful not to crank down on it too much.

    Hows your car coming along anyways? Our Stage 1s have the same color, Midnight Blue with Gray Gran Sport decals.
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,991

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    congrats on your buy.
    JOHN LENZINI 1970 QQ GSX STAGE1 GSX HISTORIC SOCIETY #2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,039

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Nice!
    Gary


    1971 GS 455

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,971

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Cool buy!
    Chris Gullo
    1972 Skylark Custom Convertible
    350-4bbl
    2.5" Magnaflow X-pipe N-25 exhaust
    3.23 Posi Rear
    Buick Super Sport wheels
    BPG #2034
    BCA #40234

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Katonah N.Y.
    Posts
    1,538

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    congrats anthony! Ver nice cool car, enjoy ot. I will guess 15's out of the box.
    Philip Roitman
    2 73 Century GS Stage 1 4-speeds 1- Highly optioned 4 speed & 1 rat!
    73 Century GS Stage 1 Suncoupe SCO paint "05" BCA National Gold. 2010 BPG Stage 1 Convention Silver Concours winner, 2013 MCACN Concours Gold & Sloan Museum pick Award
    73 Century GS 455 (T Code, 1 of 99) 12.850 @ 105.51 MPH (Cecil Dragway 2012.) Factory Stock.
    73 Century GS 350. (462 now) (11.20 @ 121) (Cecil 2013)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Chester Co. PA
    Posts
    5,955

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Congratulations!
    http://www.buickperformancegroup.com - BPG #1039 - Webmaster | Member Northeast GS/GN Club

    http://www.stage1registry.com - Please visit the factory Stage1 registry website

    Join us at the 2014 BPG Nationals for the "Buick Block Party"

    http://www.buickperformancegroup.com/images/company_logos/bpgnats_current_banner.gif

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Thanks guys! I'm gonna try to bring it the E-town this year
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Posts
    1,560

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    E-town is August 21 this year. Please make a note of it. Our East Coast regionals at Cecil will be Sept 23 & 24.
    Last edited by Skyhawk; 07-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    John Csordas
    Director Northeast GS/GN Club

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhawk View Post
    E-town is August 21 thisyear. Please make a notr of it. Our East Coast regionals at Cecil will be Sept 23 & 24.
    Thanks for the info John!

    Damn, I have to help out at school, welcoming all the new freshmen to college on the 21st....so I guess I'll see you guys at Cecil with it!

    Hopefully it's painted by then!
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  14. #14

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Anthony -


    Thanks for the grille bracket info, I just wound up making one out of flat stock. Might not be factory, but you cant tell. And I really dig the color combination, it was what pushed me over the edge on buying it.

    I havent done much with the 73 yet, I've been staying on the 65 this summer. I want to get running a consistant 14.5 before I dive into the 73. We'll see how it runs next weekend at Lebanon Valley.

    The 73 doesnt need much...but it's got a intake leak that makes it run like crap and I dont want to run it around all lean so I havent registered it yet. It also needs tires bad (it has mid 70's GR-78-R15 Michelin X's), and I just dont have the cash to pick them up yet.

    I figure I'll get into it this winter, maybe do the intake sooner. I should have it sorted for next season, at least with the automatic still in it.
    Rhett

    65 Gran Sport Convertible
    71 GS455 - Unconfirmed Stage1
    73 Gran Sport Stage1 4spd
    72 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible

    71 GS455 Conv. 4spd Tribute - Sold, now a Swedish citizen
    66 Corvair Monza 140 4spd Convertible - Sold, presumed Hurricane Sandy victim

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan,home of the PSMCDR!!!
    Posts
    2,830

    Arrow Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by 73BuickGS455 View Post
    Well everyone it's offical, I just acquired another 73 GS...Stage 1. Car runs great and I'll be getting ready to paint it soon, back to the original color, Midnight Blue.

    Fairly low option car, Stage 1 package, A/C, AM/FM radio, door moldings, Black bench seat with TH-400. That's pretty much it.

    Plan to just upgrade the camshaft and intake a little later on, but for now, it's nice having a stock car... wanna see what it will run in the 1/4 stock.

    After I paint it I'll post some more pictures. More updates to come.

    Look out Phil, I'm starting to catch up with you with all these 73s.

    Ant,
    there's no reason the car won't go 14.40's-14.50's well tuned with a good exhaust,possibly quicker.
    Why don't you take this opportunity to hone your tuning skill's, and make your goal to get the car to run as quick as it can go stock, before modding it.
    Start with a good 2 1/2" exhaust, and some good mufflers before doing anything.

    My wife's stone-stock 72 Stage 1 has gone 13.91@98, and this is with low compression,stock GM(WORN OUT WITH CAM BOUNCE)cam,etc.
    Only deviation from factory stock is a 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust.
    Car runs this on street tires,3.42 gear,weighs over 4100lbs with driver.
    HOTROD mag road tested a 72 Stage, and the best E.T. they got was a 14.91,ours has gone a full second quicker with tuning/exhaust.

    Neat 73, have fun with it.
    something in the works, for a PSMCDR near you........


    "I don't want more than anyone else, but I don't expect to settle for less"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Scranton, PA
    Posts
    2,726

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Congrats Ant! I can't wait to get my hands on a '73 some day

    Next year when I have my car done we should meet up at e-town or anywhere. Buick guys are a rare breed and younger ones are more rare!

    Louie
    Louie


    1970 GS 462
    1987 Grand National - 37K, under construction
    1971 GS 455
    1968 Skylark 430 (for sale)
    1971 GS Stage 1
    1972 GS Stage 1

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Miller View Post
    Ant,
    there's no reason the car won't go 14.40's-14.50's well tuned with a good exhaust,possibly quicker.
    Why don't you take this opportunity to hone your tuning skill's, and make your goal to get the car to run as quick as it can go stock, before modding it.
    Start with a good 2 1/2" exhaust, and some good mufflers before doing anything.

    My wife's stone-stock 72 Stage 1 has gone 13.91@98, and this is with low compression,stock GM(WORN OUT WITH CAM BOUNCE)cam,etc.
    Only deviation from factory stock is a 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust.
    Car runs this on street tires,3.42 gear,weighs over 4100lbs with driver.
    HOTROD mag road tested a 72 Stage, and the best E.T. they got was a 14.91,ours has gone a full second quicker with tuning/exhaust.

    Neat 73, have fun with it.

    Thanks Tom! That's great advice...yea I'm really curious to see what I can get out of this thing stock. A whole second differnce is alot! That's really a smart idea though...I should learn how to tune a car properly first without messing around with aftermarket parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by breakinbuick11 View Post
    Congrats Ant! I can't wait to get my hands on a '73 some day

    Next year when I have my car done we should meet up at e-town or anywhere. Buick guys are a rare breed and younger ones are more rare!

    Louie
    Thanks Louie,

    Yeah it is really nice a few of us younger guys can appericate these Buicks....they are gonna have to go to someone else in the future

    We will defiantly have to meet up soon! If you can, come down to Cecil this year!
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Loganton,Pa
    Posts
    7,229

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Just remember..Us old guys can still whoop your asses at the track though...lol
    Pat Harmon


    1973 Century Gran Sport 4 speed
    1970 455 Skylark
    (3)1986 Century GS's

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ky.
    Posts
    1,595

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Let's hear the story on how you found your new purchase! 73 Stage1's are cool cars.
    GSX Stage1 4spd Project car,74 Century Stage1,67 GS400

  20. #20

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Anthony -

    You make a great point about tuning a stock car... I was able to tune about a full second out of my 65 with no aftermarket parts (well, ok - I did go to a pertronix III)

    It's tough to resist throwing parts at it, but they knew what they were doing when they built them in the first place..
    Rhett

    65 Gran Sport Convertible
    71 GS455 - Unconfirmed Stage1
    73 Gran Sport Stage1 4spd
    72 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible

    71 GS455 Conv. 4spd Tribute - Sold, now a Swedish citizen
    66 Corvair Monza 140 4spd Convertible - Sold, presumed Hurricane Sandy victim

  21. #21

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    I forgot to add -

    It's been my experience that if you get that motor running well with all the factory pieces, you'll have already blown out traction....my biggest gains for the immediate future will be from chassis tuning, weight transfer, etc....
    Rhett

    65 Gran Sport Convertible
    71 GS455 - Unconfirmed Stage1
    73 Gran Sport Stage1 4spd
    72 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible

    71 GS455 Conv. 4spd Tribute - Sold, now a Swedish citizen
    66 Corvair Monza 140 4spd Convertible - Sold, presumed Hurricane Sandy victim

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Bought the car from Engie, who is here on V8Buick. The car was original sold in Douglasville, PA, so from what I believe it has been in PA it's whole life. I think that Buick dealership is closed now though.

    What kind of street tires do you guys recommend for these cars? It has like all terrain tires on it right now, and it spins them to easily.... I don't want to bring it to the track just to spin the tires each pass. What are some of the best street tires for getting these cars to hookup?

    Yeah great point, the suspension is a very important component on lowering your ET....

    I have the timing set at 14 degrees initial timing...this should be enough...or can I bump it up to 16?? I adjusted the dwell already to 30 degrees...gotta always check that first.
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Michigan,home of the PSMCDR!!!
    Posts
    2,830

    Arrow Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by 73BuickGS455 View Post
    Bought the car from Engie, who is here on V8Buick. The car was original sold in Douglasville, PA, so from what I believe it has been in PA it's whole life. I think that Buick dealership is closed now though.

    What kind of street tires do you guys recommend for these cars? It has like all terrain tires on it right now, and it spins them to easily.... I don't want to bring it to the track just to spin the tires each pass. What are some of the best street tires for getting these cars to hookup?

    Yeah great point, the suspension is a very important component on lowering your ET....

    I have the timing set at 14 degrees initial timing...this should be enough...or can I bump it up to 16?? I adjusted the dwell already to 30 degrees...gotta always check that first.
    Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's..........THEY HOOK!!!!!!!!! 255-60-15
    something in the works, for a PSMCDR near you........


    "I don't want more than anyone else, but I don't expect to settle for less"

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Miller View Post
    Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's..........THEY HOOK!!!!!!!!! 255-60-15
    Thanks Tom! I'll give them a try soon!
    Anthony
    73 GS 455 - UNDER RESTORATION!
    73 GS Stage 1
    73 GS 350 4 speed SCO Midnight Gray Paint
    71 Porsche 911E

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: '73 GS Stage 1

    sweet car man !
    the more i look at these cars the better they look.

    wish the mine was a stage 1 GS as well ( even though they didn't have a 455 stage1 in 75 anymore )

    Have fun with it and let us know what it runs

    Regards Lennard
    1975 Buick century ( work in progress )
    1983 ford capri
    1992 ford sierra

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
  2. Rough '70 GS Stage 1 on eBay
    By Buick_GS in forum The Bench
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
  3. 1971 GS Stage 1 4-speed in WA, auction
    By BlueSky in forum Cars and Parts For Sale Leads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
  4. 73 stage 1 head questions
    By Shrav in forum Street/strip 400/430/455
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
  5. 73 Riv GS Stage 1
    By NJBuickRacer in forum Ebay Parts and Cars
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top