Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Why does my car have a hard time going up hills?

Yea that whole section from eisenhower tunnel area up through vail pass and vail, which is like a good 100 or so miles of road altogether is a pain in the ass because off all the inclines.

Heck even when it goes into what i believe to be overdrive? it still won't gain any speed whatsoever.

Well i will take all the advice i have been given, and since i don't have the money to convert the 350 to fuel injection, i'll learn how to tweak the carb on the fly, and just deal with the 231 for now.

On another note, how much does it cost to get an engine machined?

The old man just wants to get the heads? machined and the engine itself so it is cleaner and has a new surface on them, and i don't know if i want to bore it because that will mean even more money to get different parts.

But does anyone have a general price range i am looking at?
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Funny story about when I drove my Centurion across the country (Los Angeles to Myrtle Beach and back), coming home I went through Denver, CO and that summit outside Denver (Eisenhower?) is 11,200ft, and no amount of WOT or part throttle could get me the right fuel mixture to make any HP, I was climbing that hill at 45mph, as small cars zingged by, LOL.
    Years ago my brother bought a `69 427 Caprice in Colorado Springs and drove it home to Wisconsin. If memory serves correctly the elevation was 780ft there. All he complained about when he got it home was that it had no power and wouldn't even spin a tire. I swapped out the jets and metering rods from a 455 Olds carburetor I had laying around and that car would smoke the tires at will after that.
    Bill

No Lift is offline Platinum Level Contributor

If the car was purchased out in CO it probably has the "altitude" tune. The big thing they also did for "altitude" was change the standard rear gear from 2.56's to 3.23's. If it is not an "altitude" car you are a step down already. A tach would help there to determine what you have.

I agree manually downshifting to 2nd when climbing would help but if the car was at WOT it should have downshifted by itself to 2nd.

The cheapest thing you can do for the car right now is to do a recurve of the distributer for a few $$. Check out Larry's guide on how to do it on this board. It will work just as well for your setup.

You should have an HEI so you will need one of those kits. You can get one at any decent auto parts store. If you are at 60 mph with 2.56's that is only about 2000 rpm. In 2nd gear that is about 3000 rpm. (2500/3750 w/3.23's)Your stock 105 HP peaks at an astounding 3400. Your distributer probably only gets full advance at 5000 rpm the way GM did it.

If you can't get a kit what you can do is pop the distributer cap and rotor off and just remove one of the springs. Leave the weight on. That will quicken up the curve a bit. If you get a kit just use the springs they supply which are lighter than the factory ones. The weights they give with the HEI kits are usually screwy. If all your timing is in by 3000 rpm you may just pick up a few ponies right where you need it on the mountains.

Add a few degrees to the factory initial timing and you'll be ok if you can't measure total. Keep an ear out for pinging especially at WOT but you should be ok at that altitude.

Flip over your air cleaner lid. Make sure your air filter is good. That engine needs every bit of cool air it can get.

If your car still has a catalytic converter get rid of it. If you can just replace it with a piece of pipe. If you have to have one for emissions just get a cheap universal replacement. That original one was restrictive when it was new and by now it is probably clogged good.

I know when I was out that way a few times some of those interstates out there are pretty exciting. Mountains out there are way different that mountains in the East. That one outside of Denver, I believe, where it looks like a 10 lane version of a water slide. I couldn't believe how steep it was. I was nervous about my brakes. Forget about it in the winter.
    Mike Pesarchick
    1976 Century 455
    BPG #1572
    NE GSGN #29
    GSCA #8
    Texas Mile 164.4 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by No Lift View Post
    If the car was purchased out in CO it probably has the "altitude" tune. The big thing they also did for "altitude" was change the standard rear gear from 2.56's to 3.23's. If it is not an "altitude" car you are a step down already. A tach would help there to determine what you have.

I know when I was out that way a few times some of those interstates out there are pretty exciting. Mountains out there are way different that mountains in the East. That one outside of Denver, I believe, where it looks like a 10 lane version of a water slide. I couldn't believe how steep it was. I was nervous about my brakes. Forget about it in the winter.

Mine had the 3.23's in it. I think there are parts of that mountain at a 7% grade, but could just be extra long stretches of 6%.

Those numbers sound so low to me, as our mine haul roads are 10%-12%, lol. Ford F-250 4x4, 5.4L at WOT at 7200ft elevation on a 12% grade will cap out around 45mph, lol.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer84 View Post
    I have a 78 skylark 231 v6 with what im pretty sure is a th350 tranny.

The car drives fine and all, but the problem i have is when i go up a hill, like i do when i go over the mountains to visit family in grand junction, the car has a hard time going up the hills.

I'll be goin about 75 and then when the inclines starts i'll drop down to around 60 or even lower and no amount of pushing on the gas keeps it up to speed which causes problems with the cars behind me.

Any way to fix this or any ideas what is causing this? it really bums me out.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bammax View Post
    I see 2 problems. The first is that it's the little v6 in a not so light car. Under normal circumstances that combo will fight you on hills. The second is that you're in Colorado which means it needs to be tuned for the high elevation. Even then a carb motor is going to be very unhappy with the thin air.

I'd say retune the carb for the high elevation and then learn to live with it at lower levels. Or build up the motor to work more efficiently to get the most out of the thin air. Or put in a performance rear gear instead of the highway gears that the car probably has from the factory.
    In 1977 my Mom had a brand new Century with 231V6 TH350. It had problems on the hills around here. We have a lot steep grades. But, they are not long grades. Our highest elevation in Alabama is; 2200 ft above sea level. Maybe ,yours; is an altitude problem. But, I'm sure that, it's also; a power (lack thereof) problem.
    "Bulldog" James A. Miller

I vote for flooring the gas till the trans shifts to 2nd then pulling the trans into 2nd so it will stay there... Even with the high altitude you should be able to get the 231 to pull up the hill as long as you are between 2500 and 3500 rpms.... If you have highway gears you may be at 2000 rpms in 3rd at those speeds and not having enough power.... Get those revs up!

I had an underpowered v6 car and I just drove WAY over the speed limit before and up hills to keep the revs up enough to keep it happy... When you are going 90 mph at the bottom of the hill it takes a huge hill to slow me down to 75 mph...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

Or just move to Florida. Highest point in the state is about 355ft and there are no hills that would challenge your V6
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12