Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    I just bought me a 1984 Buick Regal a couple of days ago. I want to drop a 350 Chevy Engine into it but I dont know a thing about American Cars. I come from a 1991 Honda Accord but I am mechanically inclined. I swapped honda engines and was told the Chevy 350 would be way easier.

    I come to this forum to have fun and restore my 84 Regal, I have been trying to find a Specific swap guide on putting the 350 chevy engine it the 84 regal but no luck.

    My questions are the following:

    What all will i need to swap the Chevy 350 into my Buick Regal?

    Which Chevy 350 from which Chevy Car would work, and is close to 300hp, Or which chevy 350 is the best to go with and what car to get it out of?

    What will I need to change, and anything else you guys can give me...
    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    victoria B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,331

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Just about no one hear will like you installing a chevy in your buick hope you have thick skin.
    Jamie
    71 GS 455 464ci 400 411 12bolt
    10.88 et on pump gas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Smile Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Quote Originally Posted by K0K0 View Post
    Just about no one hear will like you installing a chevy in your buick hope you have thick skin.
    Jamie
    Yea i just noticed, but hopefully someone show maturity and helps me with my situation, I just want to know which car would be best and details on completing the swap.

    I hope not to get bashed to bad, I understand the cost is more and degrading the value I just want to swap in the chevy 350 ,,,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    bowling green, ky
    Posts
    1,619

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    PM me and I will tell you the best way to do what you want to do. I'm getting ready to do the same thing.
    1984 Regal race car (ZZ430 clone motor) 11.671 @ 115.27 mph (sold)
    1985 Regal, 231 V6
    1975 TR 7, 238 V6 Buick, 14.10 @ 93.97 mph (sold)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mooresville NC
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    PM board member Ritter. He did this same swap a while back, and should be able to give you a pretty comprehensive list.

    Top of my head here, I'd say you need:
    -Frame pads and motor mounts from a same generation Monte Carlo
    -Trans adapter plate to mate the Chevy engine to a BOP transmission (unless you have a dual pattern trans)
    -I think the starters are possibly on the other side? So you'd need to do some wiring.

    As far as the actual motor goes, I'd look for a later model 350, something like a 96+ Vortec headed truck motor.

    The Vortecs flow better than the older heads, and these motors have roller cams, so you can upgrade without the worries of wiping a flat tappet cam lobe. In stock form, you'd have to limit the cam to around .470 lift. With some simple machine work, you can get up over .500 lift. You could probably find one complete with all the fuel injection stuff, or buy a vortec compatible intake and run a carb.
    Fred Noah
    1969 Chevrolet C10

    Former Buicks:
    72 Skylark
    65 LeSabre
    72 Skylark
    71 GSX Tribute

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    thanks for the quick and usefull feed back guys, i will pm both the first guy and ritter.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Quote Originally Posted by frednoah View Post
    PM board member Ritter. He did this same swap a while back, and should be able to give you a pretty comprehensive list.

    Top of my head here, I'd say you need:
    -Frame pads and motor mounts from a same generation Monte Carlo
    -Trans adapter plate to mate the Chevy engine to a BOP transmission (unless you have a dual pattern trans)
    -I think the starters are possibly on the other side? So you'd need to do some wiring.

    As far as the actual motor goes, I'd look for a later model 350, something like a 96+ Vortec headed truck motor.

    The Vortecs flow better than the older heads, and these motors have roller cams, so you can upgrade without the worries of wiping a flat tappet cam lobe. In stock form, you'd have to limit the cam to around .470 lift. With some simple machine work, you can get up over .500 lift. You could probably find one complete with all the fuel injection stuff, or buy a vortec compatible intake and run a carb.

    I am intrested in the Vortec upgrade you mentioned, can you give me more detail like what exactly do i need to do this upgrade?
    And did you say that the fuel injection would be better? Wouldnt i have to wire the cpu to run that?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mooresville NC
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    You can do the Vortec heads on any first gen SBC. They are a pretty big "bang for the buck" bolt on improvement for a street motor.

    You of course need the heads, then you'll need an intake, as the "regular" ones won't work. You will also need either self aligning rockers or pushrod guide plates.

    On the motor I'm about to build for my C10, I plan to use a roller cam short block, Vortec heads, self aligning roller rockers, and a carb. Just because I think the carb would be easier for me to deal with than learning fuel injection.
    Fred Noah
    1969 Chevrolet C10

    Former Buicks:
    72 Skylark
    65 LeSabre
    72 Skylark
    71 GSX Tribute

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Quote Originally Posted by frednoah View Post
    You can do the Vortec heads on any first gen SBC. They are a pretty big "bang for the buck" bolt on improvement for a street motor.

    You of course need the heads, then you'll need an intake, as the "regular" ones won't work. You will also need either self aligning rockers or pushrod guide plates.

    On the motor I'm about to build for my C10, I plan to use a roller cam short block, Vortec heads, self aligning roller rockers, and a carb. Just because I think the carb would be easier for me to deal with than learning fuel injection.

    Oh ok sounds like a pretty cool mod. But I plan to maintain good gas mileage and drive it daily, i noticed you mentioned street car. I just want to use it as a casual car

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mooresville NC
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    The reason I say street motor go back to the fact that the stock valve train isn't setup to use really large cams. The springs bind over about .470-.480 lift.

    As long as you're not looking for huge cams, they are a great head to use for a cruiser.

    My truck motor is going to be built for lower rpm torque and reliability. I don't really care if I run out of steam at 5000 rpm, I doubt the motor will see that many RPM for more than a few seconds at a time anyway.
    Fred Noah
    1969 Chevrolet C10

    Former Buicks:
    72 Skylark
    65 LeSabre
    72 Skylark
    71 GSX Tribute

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Quote Originally Posted by frednoah View Post
    The reason I say street motor go back to the fact that the stock valve train isn't setup to use really large cams. The springs bind over about .470-.480 lift.

    As long as you're not looking for huge cams, they are a great head to use for a cruiser.

    My truck motor is going to be built for lower rpm torque and reliability. I don't really care if I run out of steam at 5000 rpm, I doubt the motor will see that many RPM for more than a few seconds at a time anyway.

    thanks man ill look into that upgrade in the future

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    What motor is in it right now???

    If it's the 3.8L Buick V6, just get a 350 Buick. It will literally fall in with no problems. Won't really have to change a thing...
    Jim F
    66 Skylark, 85 GN

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Topeka Kansas
    Posts
    14,921

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Quote Originally Posted by FJM568 View Post
    What motor is in it right now???

    If it's the 3.8L Buick V6, just get a 350 Buick. It will literally fall in with no problems. Won't really have to change a thing...
    That would be too easy .............he wants to change wiring, fuel delivery , frame mounts, brackets etc etc

    and besides why would buick people want to help put a chevy in a buick?
    Michael Garrison
    High Torque Racing
    Topeka Kansas
    GSCA#411
    BPG #1022
    1970 GS Stage1 (wifes car) 12.78@104 all by herself!!
    1970 GS 455-BUZILLA 538 826HP
    10.18@135.6 so far thru the muffs
    I repo & sell parts!! Find us on facebook

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,168

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    I am trying to figure out why someone would get on a Buick site to ask chevy questions.
    Bu Hogs Rock
    Guy
    355 Buick
    13.50@99 mph motor
    13.31@100 best
    11.81@114 mph 125 shot nitrous
    200-4r trans 3000 stall 373 gears
    H-O Racing suspension

    http://www.streetfire.net/video/1029...time_12508.htm
    With 350 trans 11.87@112, 125 shot nitrous

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Highland, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    800

    Default Re: Whats needed to put a Chevy 350 into my 84 Buick Regal?

    Because, like it or not, the "General" decided to nix "our" 350 and put the anemic 305 in the Buick Regals that didn't have the benefit of being produced with 6 cylinders.

    It's still a Buick. It's not his fault it came from the factory with a Monte Carlo motor.

    At least the Oldsmobile guys got their own 307....
    Project: Warbird - Zero deck '72 block bored .030, 10.25:1 Hyper slugs, '75 crank and rods, Poston GS114 (.480/.495), Comp Cams rockers and shafts, TA Stage 1 350 Intake, Q-Jet, 1" open spacer, Holley Blue pump and regulator, MSD 6AL, Accell HEI Super Coil, Taylor wires, AC plugs Melling HV oil pump, Hooker Super Competition Headers, Supertrapp 5A Stainless suppressors. B&M kitted TH350, 2800 TCI converter, 8.5 w/lockright locker and 3.42 gears.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 241
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 10:31 PM
  2. Chevy 350 into 68-69 Skylark Instructions
    By dallas121469 in forum The "Other" Bench
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
  3. Pics - 2009 Buick Wildcat Gran Sport
    By BuickStreet in forum The Bench
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 01:32 AM
  4. Installing a chevy 350 into Buick Regal 1980
    By Dan476 in forum Small Block Tech
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 06:25 AM
  5. How many cars have you owned ???
    By 68 LeSabre 4dr in forum The Bench
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 01:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top