Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default B-350 Roller Rocker Conversion - Your Experiences

To those of you who already purchased and installed Burton Machine's Buick 350 stud-mounted roller rocker conversion kit:

Has it worked out well?

As easy to machine and install as advertised?

Frankly, it looks like a great idea to me. I have a set of ported Buick 350 heads I'd like to salvage (a couple partially broken rocker shaft tower/cradles) and up-grade to Chevy-type steel roller rockers. So, I'm wondering how well they worked for you.

So, if you would, please, post a response on this thread, or send one to me via PM or my e-mail address (danjudy@pacbell.net).

As always, thanks in advance for your support.
    Best Regards,
    Dan Gerber
    Anaheim, CA
    '62 Special 464 BBB Coupe
    '72 Skylark Custom 350 Convertible

Default Re: B-350 Roller Rocker Conversion - Your Experiences

Honestly, I wouldnt consider using "stud type" roller rockers an upgrade, "shaft mounted" roller rockers are far stronger. Mark
    71 GS 350 (mine)
    87 Grand National (Hers)
    00 Monte Carlo
    2001 GMC Safari AWD
    2007 Mazda 3
    Ranch house with 3 dogs and a cat

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Demko View Post
    Honestly, I wouldnt consider using "stud type" roller rockers an upgrade, "shaft mounted" roller rockers are far stronger. Mark
    Considering the non adjustable shaft rocker setup is TERRIBLE and prone to failure the Burton conversion is FAR better than stock. The stock rocker setup is the week link for the Buick 350....

A stud girdle is available as well if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb Makley View Post
    So guys I have read there was concern about shaft flex so I decided that I would do some testing to see what we could come up with. First I put a valve in place and locked it down. Then I installed the rocker arm. Once that was done I put my on head valve spring tester on it. The more you pull the more pressure it will shoow lbs it takes to move the spring. But with the valve locked down it will pull on the end of the shaft just like if it was running but worse because the force will be focused on the end of the shaft. I installed an indicator to give me a reading on movement. This is what I found.

100lbs 0 movement
    200lbs 0 movement
    300lbs 0 movement
    350lbs .0005 movement
    400lbs .001 movement

I did not go any higher due to that fact there isn't much point in higher than that unless you are going to run a roller and at that point you need to look at the higher end set up. But I really feel that this is a great budget minded set-up and shows no major down falls that I have seen yet I will run this set-up and pound it hard you can count on that.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=149569
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip

There are pluses and minuses associated with each rocker style.

If I was building a 2 or 3 HP/cu. in. naturally aspirated high-RPM Pro-Stock-type engine, I would go with shaft rockers. Of course, if I were in that league, I wouldn't be building an old technology Buick 350 and dropping in my Skylark convertible.

Considering the level of performance I'm working with (1+ HP/cu in), the condition of the head castings in the rocker shaft "saddle" area, my level of engine building expertise, and my goal of just plain having fun with my car, stud rockers are the way to go.

Experiences with the Burton Machine set-up, anyone?

Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Dan Gerber
    Anaheim, CA

I bought a set to use one of these days but wonder about if anyone has been using it.
    I bought them because it seems like a good idea,makes things easier and should be a reliable set up.
    I agree that the shaft mounted set up is overkill for most applications.
    Hector
    '79 Electra Limited 350-4
    '95 Roadmaster Sedan 350-LT 1
    BCA 42718
    W.O.T. without a Cat

I must admit, it seems strange that there is no feedback from those who have purchased the kits. Bobb did the original testing, but I have not heard any testimonies. I finally got the setup on my own engine (in the Tubs and Twins thread) and hope to do a video of it running with the valve cover open.

Gotta run what you sell right?

ive been having variousy problems in just about every aspect of my life so i have yet to get them in
    but i will!
    Mike aka BiZnO
    72 twinturbo Skylark

Buick 350 Inspirational members to me..
    TuBBeD for his 551+ N/A build
    BillMah52 First to take a 350 where no man has gone before
    Justa350 First to hang a pair of turbos and cause Kaos
    GSJohnny First to max out the bore at .090 and his .075 and have engines that actually breath well N/A!
    Bobb Makley First well known to Stroke a 350
    Ken Betts, Hopefully the guy to pull-off 350 AL heads :-D

Not yet. If someone were to donate a head and rocker setup, I could do the design. If there was enough interest a small run could likely be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by GranSportSedan View Post
    is this setup available for the 300-340 engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Demko View Post
    I would just guess that there is about a million small block chevy's out there making more power with stud rocker system then there every will be Buicks making half of what they make. I don't think I would be to worried about stud rockers. The cars that make really big power they change to a shaft set up but most of those motors are huge power and genrally use ind. shafts not what we have on buicks. We have a set on a 350 inch procharged motor we are just finishing up and have a proto type set on a 455 that will be run soon. If given the choice steel on steel stamped shaft rocker or an inexpensive stud set up give me studs. But to each his own it is all personnel preferance.

Well "Justa350", maybe the lack of response from those folks who already purchased a set from you is a good thing. That is, apparently no one experienced a failure of the system, or serious difficuly following your maching or installation procedures. I figure if someone was really unhappy, they would have at least responded via my personal e-mail or the boards PM system (which is why I suggested it).

So, maybe no news is good news in this case.
    Best Regards,
    Dan Gerber
    Anaheim, CA

When I get to my engine rebuild, I'm putting a 350 in my '67, I'll be ordering a set for sure. On a cost comparison basis alone, replacing worn out shafts and stamped steel rockers would cost about as much. Seems like a no-brainer!
    Joe M.
    '67 Skylark Convertible (Project)
    '04 Mazda 6S Wagon (Daily Driver)
    Past Project: '70 Stingray Coupe (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerber View Post
    Well "Justa350", maybe the lack of response from those folks who already purchased a set from you is a good thing. That is, apparently no one experienced a failure of the system, or serious difficuly following your maching or installation procedures. I figure if someone was really unhappy, they would have at least responded via my personal e-mail or the boards PM system (which is why I suggested it).

So, maybe no news is good news in this case.
    Now that Jay has been running these for a while with no issues the conversion is being proven reliable.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    My book called Small Block Buick Performance covering the V6, 215, 300, 340, and Buick 350 engines will be released soon.

http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay....rformance-Book
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    1970 Buick Skylark Turbo 350 street/strip