Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hampstead, MD
    Posts
    136

    Default Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Anyone know of a good place for me to go to get my bumpers rechromed in the Baltimore/Washington DC or Southern PA area and about how much I can expect it to cost?
    1970 Skylark Convertible project - 18" Boss 338's, pondering an LC2, currently on hold due to 3 little girls under 6!

    1991 Pontiac Firebird Convertible - 50K miles, 305 TBI w/ coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust, T56, 4.10s C5 brakes, Hotchkis suspension & Koni Reds, 17" Racestars

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Ed, I have been shopping around for chromed bumpers for my 75 Regal. The "Bumper Boyz" $490.00 w/ exchange & $590.00 w/o for your 70 Skylark (front) and $500.00 & $650.00 for the rear. One of the sales people at Fall Carlisle even handed me the price sheet like he didn't give a damn if he sold a bumper or not. "Tri City" quoted me a price of around $400.00 for my bumper (don't know about yours) they were very friendly and I have heard good things about their quality. I finally called "Superior Plating" in Pomona, CA. I had used them in the past and their quality is very good. They quoted me a price of $225.00. If you have bumper guards they are $50.00 a piece. Fed Ex ground shipping to where I live in New York doesn't seem too expensive either. The other companies prices don't even factor in shipping costs. I think Superior is your best bet in my humble opinion. Their # is (909)622-2519.
    Good luck. Mario.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hampstead, MD
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Great info Mario, thanks! Funny that the company farthest away has the best service & price but that's fine with me. I will reach out to them and see what they have to say. Thanks!
    1970 Skylark Convertible project - 18" Boss 338's, pondering an LC2, currently on hold due to 3 little girls under 6!

    1991 Pontiac Firebird Convertible - 50K miles, 305 TBI w/ coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust, T56, 4.10s C5 brakes, Hotchkis suspension & Koni Reds, 17" Racestars

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
    Posts
    21,914

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    I just had my rear bumper done by Tri City. Was 495.00 +50.00 Shipping. It came out great.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    Best E.T. 11.54@ 115.00. Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    That place in Syracuse is having a 20% off sale. I just posted it and now I can't remember their name
    1969 Chevelle convertible
    1969 Buick GS400
    1964 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III
    1987 Honda CRX Si (autocross car)

    SuperAndy's Garage

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ironton,OH 45638
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    I recommend NOT using Bummer Boyz, I have a horror story about them, too long for here. Basically they do sorry work, and if you keep this thread going long enough you will likely get many replies confirming this. If you aren't immediately sorry you dealt with them you will be later.
    Call me at 740-533-0240 and I'll tell you my story.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,208

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtops View Post
    I recommend NOT using Bummer Boyz, I have a horror story about them, too long for here. Basically they do sorry work, and if you keep this thread going long enough you will likely get many replies confirming this. If you aren't immediately sorry you dealt with them you will be later.
    Call me at 740-533-0240 and I'll tell you my story.

    x2, go with Tri City.


    Craig Ray

    `72 Skylark 455
    Ice cream getter / track toy.
    11.6 @ 117 mph with 1.71 60'
    10.8 @ 124 mph w/100 shot (on delay), traction limited of course...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cray1801.../0/t8GLCth-fkM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Da 'Nawlins Bayous.....
    Posts
    5,064

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtops View Post
    I recommend NOT using Bummer Boyz, I have a horror story about them, too long for here. Basically they do sorry work, and if you keep this thread going long enough you will likely get many replies confirming this. If you aren't immediately sorry you dealt with them you will be later.
    Call me at 740-533-0240 and I'll tell you my story.
    X3
    [/SIGPIC]
    Jason -friends call me (J)-POP

    B.P.G. #1500
    R.O.A. # 8427


    MY (nearly) DAILY DRIVER --'71 Rivvy Black and Gold.

    '85 Regal triple gold 40k mi.
    Love your country, fear your government, drink more beer
    I pledge allegiance, not blind obedience!!!!
    You can't trust a man who never curses

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    I've not tried Bumper Boyz, but I've pondered the idea of having bumpers re chromed for 4 years now on various cars, and have read the horror stories enough to know to stay away..

    X4.
    -Pete
    --1964 Buick Wildcat (401)
    ---The Only 2-Door '64 Registered in the State of New York
    (there are four 4-door 64's reg'd in NY)


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    That place in Syracuse is having a 20% off sale. I just posted it and now I can't remember their name
    Sandy's Bumper Mart. I live about 15 minutes from them, and they did mine 10 years ago.
    Bob

    '72 GS350 convertible, 455, "TORQUED" 10.91@121, 1.50, 3750 lbs race weight, street car, Qjet, full exhaust, etc.
    '70 GSX Tribute 9.51@140+, 1.33, 3650 lbs race weight, factory iron block, 1 carb, full exhaust, no power adders
    '87 GN 59K original owner

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXRjiO-oFE

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUED455 View Post
    Sandy's Bumper Mart. I live about 15 minutes from them, and they did mine 10 years ago.
    they take drive-ins?
    im in Orange Cty. Moving to Columbia Cty soon.
    -Pete
    --1964 Buick Wildcat (401)
    ---The Only 2-Door '64 Registered in the State of New York
    (there are four 4-door 64's reg'd in NY)


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Hemmings Musclecar Magazine did a story, last year I believe, touting the excellent work, specifically on on Buick GS bumpers, from a company that I think is out of Brainerd, MN. (NorthStar Plating??)
    Anyone else remember the piece?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragzem View Post
    they take drive-ins?
    im in Orange Cty. Moving to Columbia Cty soon.
    Yes. I didn't even realize they had a website. If you do drop them off, do not let the neighborhood or building be a judge of their quality. It's a little rough around the edges, but they do good work. It's located, of all places, on Wall St.
    Bob

    '72 GS350 convertible, 455, "TORQUED" 10.91@121, 1.50, 3750 lbs race weight, street car, Qjet, full exhaust, etc.
    '70 GSX Tribute 9.51@140+, 1.33, 3650 lbs race weight, factory iron block, 1 carb, full exhaust, no power adders
    '87 GN 59K original owner

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXRjiO-oFE

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Can you send the link?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
    Posts
    21,914

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by krose View Post
    Can you send the link?
    Is this it? http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    Best E.T. 11.54@ 115.00. Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ironton,OH 45638
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by krose View Post
    Hemmings Musclecar Magazine did a story, last year I believe, touting the excellent work, specifically on on Buick GS bumpers, from a company that I think is out of Brainerd, MN. (NorthStar Plating??)
    Anyone else remember the piece?
    I didn't see the article, but I had them do 2 bumpers for my 65 GS, after the Bummer (intentionally mis-spelled to reflect accurate description) Boyz fiasco. They did pretty good, looked good. Had to send the rear back to get more straightening done and rechromed again, more shipping charges, but they did it free. Even after it came back the second time it had a "ring" around one bolt hole that the nickle plate didn't cover and the copper showed. So they chromed some bolts with larger heads for me, at my request, free. I told them what to go buy, they bought them, chromed them, shipped them, FREE. I would use them again.
    They are part of the Keystone group. They are big in selling aftermarket sheetmetal, lights, body parts for late model cars&trucks. If you know someone that deals with them, body shop or parts sales which sells their aftermarket parts, Keystone will pick up the bumper and have it trucked to their MN location and back for free. That is what their truck driver told me in person one day I was loafing at my buddies body shop and he was delivering there.
    I have a bumper at Jons Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton OH right now for show finish.
    http://www.customchromeplating.com/
    It has been there since March, and will cost almost two thousand dollars. I can't recommend them, yet, I haven't seen their work, but they were Highly recommended to me from someone I know and trust. They also have less expensive service available, I just decided to go for the gusto.
    Mike
    Mike

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    I have atweaked front 70 bumper I need done and coincidently, I live in MN. Do you have an address or contact info?
    Are they Keystone or Northstar?
    Thanks
    Kirk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    durham,nc
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    X5 on bumper boyz
    Just be glad I'm medicated

    Doug
    68 Skylark custom
    350-4
    69 Electra 4 door hardtop
    455(changed it)so don't correct me
    72 240z one owner (me)
    94 Impala SS
    98 GMC Extended Cab

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    869

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUED455 View Post
    Yes. I didn't even realize they had a website. If you do drop them off, do not let the neighborhood or building be a judge of their quality. It's a little rough around the edges, but they do good work. It's located, of all places, on Wall St.
    No, I meant like.. can I leave the car with them? No point in driving there if they're not gonna do anything for me !
    -Pete
    --1964 Buick Wildcat (401)
    ---The Only 2-Door '64 Registered in the State of New York
    (there are four 4-door 64's reg'd in NY)


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ironton,OH 45638
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by krose View Post
    I have atweaked front 70 bumper I need done and coincidently, I live in MN. Do you have an address or contact info?
    Are they Keystone or Northstar?
    Thanks
    Kirk
    http://www.plantfloor.com/mn/northstarplating.htm

    They are a Division of Keystone, like Buick is a division of GM.

    Also toll free 800-432-3720

    A word about bent bumpers. First, how do you think they go about straightening it?
    Answer, They look at it with an experienced eye (hopefully), try to figure out how it should be, and beat it back into place, maybe use a press maybe not. If it is bent badly it may or may not fit properly. If you think there are molds or templates to help straighten, think again. Now imagine how many there would have to be, and what would they be made of to last from when chrome bumpers originated to today. If there is an old craftsman doing the work you might be lucky and get it right. If it is a young man just doing a "job", well what do you think? A good straight core is a very good thing to have. I had to make a template of the back of my 65 GS and send it with the bumper when it went the second time, and it still wasn't "right", but I used it anyway.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    1,953

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Larry has the correct link, and no, you would have to drop off or ship the bumpers there.

    Bent ones are O.K.

    They are really not too fond of rot.

    For some reason, I thought they had jigs or templates for straightening. I could be wrong, as it was a long time ago.

    My rear one was bent in a couple of places, and I even suggested that I find another one, but they said as long as it wasn't rotten that it would be fine. I can't even recall where it was bent.

    Strangley, the size of the plating job and the price are almost inversely proportional -- the little trinkets and do-dads are really spendy to get re-plated, and the bumpers are relatively cheap.
    Bob

    '72 GS350 convertible, 455, "TORQUED" 10.91@121, 1.50, 3750 lbs race weight, street car, Qjet, full exhaust, etc.
    '70 GSX Tribute 9.51@140+, 1.33, 3650 lbs race weight, factory iron block, 1 carb, full exhaust, no power adders
    '87 GN 59K original owner

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXRjiO-oFE

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
    Posts
    21,914

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUED455 View Post
    Larry has the correct link, and no, you would have to drop off or ship the bumpers there.

    Bent ones are O.K.

    They are really not too fond of rot.

    For some reason, I thought they had jigs or templates for straightening. I could be wrong, as it was a long time ago.

    My rear one was bent in a couple of places, and I even suggested that I find another one, but they said as long as it wasn't rotten that it would be fine. I can't even recall where it was bent.

    Strangley, the size of the plating job and the price are almost inversely proportional -- the little trinkets and do-dads are really spendy to get re-plated, and the bumpers are relatively cheap.

    That's good to know Bob. I may want to do my front bumper in the future. According to my GPS, it's 236 miles one way. I'd much rather drop my bumper off and pick it up when it's done.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    Best E.T. 11.54@ 115.00. Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    125

    Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtops View Post
    http://www.plantfloor.com/mn/northstarplating.htm

    They are a Division of Keystone, like Buick is a division of GM.

    Also toll free 800-432-3720

    A word about bent bumpers. First, how do you think they go about straightening it?
    Answer, They look at it with an experienced eye (hopefully), try to figure out how it should be, and beat it back into place, maybe use a press maybe not. If it is bent badly it may or may not fit properly. If you think there are molds or templates to help straighten, think again. Now imagine how many there would have to be, and what would they be made of to last from when chrome bumpers originated to today. If there is an old craftsman doing the work you might be lucky and get it right. If it is a young man just doing a "job", well what do you think? A good straight core is a very good thing to have. I had to make a template of the back of my 65 GS and send it with the bumper when it went the second time, and it still wasn't "right", but I used it anyway.
    If memory serves, the article did show a jig for a 70 front bumper.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. looking for rechromed bumpers for 68 69 skylark
    By vertboi6500 in forum The Bench
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
  2. Rechromed Bumpers on Ebay..68-72 GS Skylark
    By sparkplug in forum Ebay Parts and Cars
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
  3. Rechromed N25 bumpers at GS Nats
    By Rusty Davenport in forum Repro Parts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top