Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

Anyone know of a good place for me to go to get my bumpers rechromed in the Baltimore/Washington DC or Southern PA area and about how much I can expect it to cost?
    1970 Skylark Convertible project - 18" Boss 338's, pondering an LC2, currently on hold due to 3 little girls under 6!

1991 Pontiac Firebird Convertible - 50K miles, 305 TBI w/ coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust, T56, 4.10s C5 brakes, Hotchkis suspension & Koni Reds, 17" Racestars

Default Re: Where to go to get bumpers rechromed?

Ed, I have been shopping around for chromed bumpers for my 75 Regal. The "Bumper Boyz" $490.00 w/ exchange & $590.00 w/o for your 70 Skylark (front) and $500.00 & $650.00 for the rear. One of the sales people at Fall Carlisle even handed me the price sheet like he didn't give a damn if he sold a bumper or not. "Tri City" quoted me a price of around $400.00 for my bumper (don't know about yours) they were very friendly and I have heard good things about their quality. I finally called "Superior Plating" in Pomona, CA. I had used them in the past and their quality is very good. They quoted me a price of $225.00. If you have bumper guards they are $50.00 a piece. Fed Ex ground shipping to where I live in New York doesn't seem too expensive either. The other companies prices don't even factor in shipping costs. I think Superior is your best bet in my humble opinion. Their # is (909)622-2519.
    Good luck. Mario.

Great info Mario, thanks! Funny that the company farthest away has the best service & price but that's fine with me. I will reach out to them and see what they have to say. Thanks!
    1970 Skylark Convertible project - 18" Boss 338's, pondering an LC2, currently on hold due to 3 little girls under 6!

1991 Pontiac Firebird Convertible - 50K miles, 305 TBI w/ coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust, T56, 4.10s C5 brakes, Hotchkis suspension & Koni Reds, 17" Racestars

I just had my rear bumper done by Tri City. Was 495.00 +50.00 Shipping. It came out great.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    Best E.T. 11.54@ 115.00. Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

That place in Syracuse is having a 20% off sale. I just posted it and now I can't remember their name
    1969 Chevelle convertible
    1969 Buick GS400
    1964 Austin Healey 3000 Mk III
    1987 Honda CRX Si (autocross car)

SuperAndy's Garage

I recommend NOT using Bummer Boyz, I have a horror story about them, too long for here. Basically they do sorry work, and if you keep this thread going long enough you will likely get many replies confirming this. If you aren't immediately sorry you dealt with them you will be later.
    Call me at 740-533-0240 and I'll tell you my story.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtops View Post
    I recommend NOT using Bummer Boyz, I have a horror story about them, too long for here. Basically they do sorry work, and if you keep this thread going long enough you will likely get many replies confirming this. If you aren't immediately sorry you dealt with them you will be later.

x2, go with Tri City.

Craig Ray

`72 Skylark 455
    Ice cream getter / track toy.
    11.6 @ 117 mph with 1.71 60'
    10.8 @ 124 mph w/100 shot (on delay), traction limited of course...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cray1801.../0/t8GLCth-fkM

X3
    [/SIGPIC]
    Jason -friends call me (J)-POP

B.P.G. #1500
    R.O.A. # 8427

MY (nearly) DAILY DRIVER --'71 Rivvy Black and Gold.

'85 Regal triple gold 40k mi.
    Love your country, fear your government, drink more beer
    I pledge allegiance, not blind obedience!!!!
    You can't trust a man who never curses

I've not tried Bumper Boyz, but I've pondered the idea of having bumpers re chromed for 4 years now on various cars, and have read the horror stories enough to know to stay away..

X4.
    -Pete
    --1964 Buick Wildcat (401)
    ---The Only 2-Door '64 Registered in the State of New York
    (there are four 4-door 64's reg'd in NY)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    That place in Syracuse is having a 20% off sale. I just posted it and now I can't remember their name
    Sandy's Bumper Mart. I live about 15 minutes from them, and they did mine 10 years ago.
    Bob

'72 GS350 convertible, 455, "TORQUED" 10.91@121, 1.50, 3750 lbs race weight, street car, Qjet, full exhaust, etc.
    '70 GSX Tribute 9.51@140+, 1.33, 3650 lbs race weight, factory iron block, 1 carb, full exhaust, no power adders
    '87 GN 59K original owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXRjiO-oFE

Quote Originally Posted by TORQUED455 View Post
    Sandy's Bumper Mart. I live about 15 minutes from them, and they did mine 10 years ago.
    they take drive-ins?
    im in Orange Cty. Moving to Columbia Cty soon.
    -Pete

Hemmings Musclecar Magazine did a story, last year I believe, touting the excellent work, specifically on on Buick GS bumpers, from a company that I think is out of Brainerd, MN. (NorthStar Plating??)
    Anyone else remember the piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragzem View Post
    they take drive-ins?
    im in Orange Cty. Moving to Columbia Cty soon.
    Yes. I didn't even realize they had a website. If you do drop them off, do not let the neighborhood or building be a judge of their quality. It's a little rough around the edges, but they do good work. It's located, of all places, on Wall St.
    Bob

'72 GS350 convertible, 455, "TORQUED" 10.91@121, 1.50, 3750 lbs race weight, street car, Qjet, full exhaust, etc.
    '70 GSX Tribute 9.51@140+, 1.33, 3650 lbs race weight, factory iron block, 1 carb, full exhaust, no power adders

Can you send the link?

Quote Originally Posted by krose View Post
    Can you send the link?
    Is this it? http://www.sandysbumpermart.com/
    Larry
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    BPG # 1063

Hemmings Musclecar Magazine did a story, last year I believe, touting the excellent work, specifically on on Buick GS bumpers, from a company that I think is out of Brainerd, MN. (NorthStar Plating??)
    Anyone else remember the piece?
    I didn't see the article, but I had them do 2 bumpers for my 65 GS, after the Bummer (intentionally mis-spelled to reflect accurate description) Boyz fiasco. They did pretty good, looked good. Had to send the rear back to get more straightening done and rechromed again, more shipping charges, but they did it free. Even after it came back the second time it had a "ring" around one bolt hole that the nickle plate didn't cover and the copper showed. So they chromed some bolts with larger heads for me, at my request, free. I told them what to go buy, they bought them, chromed them, shipped them, FREE. I would use them again.
    They are part of the Keystone group. They are big in selling aftermarket sheetmetal, lights, body parts for late model cars&trucks. If you know someone that deals with them, body shop or parts sales which sells their aftermarket parts, Keystone will pick up the bumper and have it trucked to their MN location and back for free. That is what their truck driver told me in person one day I was loafing at my buddies body shop and he was delivering there.
    I have a bumper at Jons Custom Chrome Plating in Grafton OH right now for show finish.
    http://www.customchromeplating.com/
    It has been there since March, and will cost almost two thousand dollars. I can't recommend them, yet, I haven't seen their work, but they were Highly recommended to me from someone I know and trust. They also have less expensive service available, I just decided to go for the gusto.
    Mike
    Mike

I have atweaked front 70 bumper I need done and coincidently, I live in MN. Do you have an address or contact info?
    Are they Keystone or Northstar?
    Thanks
    Kirk

X5 on bumper boyz
    Just be glad I'm medicated

Doug
    68 Skylark custom
    350-4
    69 Electra 4 door hardtop
    455(changed it)so don't correct me
    72 240z one owner (me)
    94 Impala SS
    98 GMC Extended Cab

Yes. I didn't even realize they had a website. If you do drop them off, do not let the neighborhood or building be a judge of their quality. It's a little rough around the edges, but they do good work. It's located, of all places, on Wall St.
    No, I meant like.. can I leave the car with them? No point in driving there if they're not gonna do anything for me !
    -Pete

I have atweaked front 70 bumper I need done and coincidently, I live in MN. Do you have an address or contact info?
    Are they Keystone or Northstar?
    Thanks
    Kirk
    http://www.plantfloor.com/mn/northstarplating.htm

They are a Division of Keystone, like Buick is a division of GM.

Also toll free 800-432-3720

A word about bent bumpers. First, how do you think they go about straightening it?
    Answer, They look at it with an experienced eye (hopefully), try to figure out how it should be, and beat it back into place, maybe use a press maybe not. If it is bent badly it may or may not fit properly. If you think there are molds or templates to help straighten, think again. Now imagine how many there would have to be, and what would they be made of to last from when chrome bumpers originated to today. If there is an old craftsman doing the work you might be lucky and get it right. If it is a young man just doing a "job", well what do you think? A good straight core is a very good thing to have. I had to make a template of the back of my 65 GS and send it with the bumper when it went the second time, and it still wasn't "right", but I used it anyway.

Larry has the correct link, and no, you would have to drop off or ship the bumpers there.

Bent ones are O.K.

They are really not too fond of rot.

For some reason, I thought they had jigs or templates for straightening. I could be wrong, as it was a long time ago.

My rear one was bent in a couple of places, and I even suggested that I find another one, but they said as long as it wasn't rotten that it would be fine. I can't even recall where it was bent.

Strangley, the size of the plating job and the price are almost inversely proportional -- the little trinkets and do-dads are really spendy to get re-plated, and the bumpers are relatively cheap.
    Bob

Larry has the correct link, and no, you would have to drop off or ship the bumpers there.

Bent ones are O.K.

They are really not too fond of rot.

For some reason, I thought they had jigs or templates for straightening. I could be wrong, as it was a long time ago.

My rear one was bent in a couple of places, and I even suggested that I find another one, but they said as long as it wasn't rotten that it would be fine. I can't even recall where it was bent.

Strangley, the size of the plating job and the price are almost inversely proportional -- the little trinkets and do-dads are really spendy to get re-plated, and the bumpers are relatively cheap.

That's good to know Bob. I may want to do my front bumper in the future. According to my GPS, it's 236 miles one way. I'd much rather drop my bumper off and pick it up when it's done.
    Larry
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    BPG # 1063

http://www.plantfloor.com/mn/northstarplating.htm

They are a Division of Keystone, like Buick is a division of GM.

Also toll free 800-432-3720

A word about bent bumpers. First, how do you think they go about straightening it?
    Answer, They look at it with an experienced eye (hopefully), try to figure out how it should be, and beat it back into place, maybe use a press maybe not. If it is bent badly it may or may not fit properly. If you think there are molds or templates to help straighten, think again. Now imagine how many there would have to be, and what would they be made of to last from when chrome bumpers originated to today. If there is an old craftsman doing the work you might be lucky and get it right. If it is a young man just doing a "job", well what do you think? A good straight core is a very good thing to have. I had to make a template of the back of my 65 GS and send it with the bumper when it went the second time, and it still wasn't "right", but I used it anyway.
    If memory serves, the article did show a jig for a 70 front bumper.