Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Arrow how do I adjust TH350 shifting?

My 72 Skylark shifts out of 1st real quick, alot of the time is I roll stop it stays in 2nd when I take off, it also gets into third a little early for me. Is there any adjustment for this, other than keeping the hammer down?!
    -Jason

Default Re: how do I adjust TH350 shifting?

Quote Originally Posted by buicks View Post
    My 72 Skylark shifts out of 1st real quick, alot of the time is I roll stop it stays in 2nd when I take off, it also gets into third a little early for me. Is there any adjustment for this, other than keeping the hammer down?!

If I remember right you have to adjust the TBI cable at the carb or have an adjusable modulator.

Steve
    1972 GSX 455 CLONE, 9.96:1 wiseco pistons, TA 290-08h cam, TA sp1 intake, mighty demon 850, edelbrock heads, comp. cams pro magnum 6.0 roller rockers, msd billet distributor w/ 6 AL, TA shorty headers, turbo 400, Coan converter, 3.42 gears, powertrax locker, TA 3" exhaust w/ dynomax mufflers.
    Best time - 12.22 @ 110.32 mph on BFG street radial TAs, drag tires on the way!

I think you are going to have to replace the governor to cure this. There is no adjustment on the detent cable in '72, it connects to the gas pedal inside the car. If it has a stock modulator it should be fine. The clue is that sometimes it starts out in 2nd gear. SOUNDS like the governor bore could be worn too, which will cause this. In fact, I would start here. Make sure the bore is not egg-shaped. There is a tool for measuring this that most tranny shops USED to have and some probably still do. If the bore checks out OK, while in there replace the governor.

Actually, there is a bit of adjustment to the detent cable at the gas pedal. There's a pinch clip that will slide along the cable.

You can pull the cable out and slide the pinch clip in. Get under the dash and pull the detent cable all the way out while holding the gas pedal to the floor. With pliers, pinch the metal clip and slide it all the way in until it meets the gas pedal. I guess that would be considered the most "aggressive" position of the cable.

You can also fine tune the governor for WOT using a kit that B&M sells.
    Steve E.

Quote Originally Posted by 71GS455 View Post
    Actually, there is a bit of adjustment to the detent cable at the gas pedal. There's a pinch clip that will slide along the cable.

You can pull the cable out and slide the pinch clip in. Get under the dash and pull the detent cable all the way out while holding the gas pedal to the floor. With pliers, pinch the metal clip and slide it all the way in until it meets the gas pedal. I guess that would be considered the most "aggressive" position of the cable.

You can also fine tune the governor for WOT using a kit that B&M sells.

That's true. However, when he is just leaving a stoplight and it is already in 2nd gear, this adjustment won't help, which is why I am pointing him to the governor. The detent adjustment that you refer to is mostly for wide open throttle and for part throttle upshifts when already moving.

i have seen somthing similar with a modualtor installed wrong
    check to see if the vacuum line is filled with trans fluid(bad modulator)
    was it like that when you got/did you change anything
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25 for sale

Red face Re: how do I adjust TH350 shifting?

I have a MOTORS manual that covers all 71 Buicks, think this would have what I need to know in it? The engine trans are actually from a 1970 4door, but both are unmessed with. I know almost nil about the inside of auto trannys, is the governor internal, meaning drop the trans?

Someone once mentioned adjusting the "bands" on an auto trans (though it was a Chevy) that doesn't apply?

Thanks for all your responses so far.
    -Jason

I take that back the trans was rebuilt, the engine is stock. Tha was all done before I bought the car. Though the trans shifts firm and fluid is real pretty like new, I think it was built to stock specs, maybe 30k on it since.

Most people might not notice it, but I know I should get more revs before it shifts.
    -Jason

There is no band adjustment on a TH 350. The governor is located on the driver's side in the rear of the transmission. There is a round cover there. Remove the spring loaded clip that holds the cover on and pop the cover off. The governor will come right out. Easy duty!

I would try spraying the governor with carb cleaner, letting it dry, lube it with ATF and re-install. Sometimes the valve gets gummed up. If that doesn't work, try another governor before condemning the trans. Also, the detent cable should reach it's full travel at the same time as the gas pedal. There is an adjustment at the gas pedal end of the cable as mentioned.
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    11.67 @ 115.49 MPH
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

My TH400 does the same. It loves second. It'll get in it early and won't shift to third till I'm doing about 28 mile an hour regardless of throttle pos. I thought it was something to do with the valve body. Cause apparently my motor and tranny are out of a 72 riv. I figured I'd have to get a stage 1 valve body to make it shift better. It also won't kick down to first at low speeds.

It sounds like we both could use tightening of the detent cable, as well as looking at our governors, if 400's are set up the same. I don't think I'll be able to tell if the bore is out of round, but could get the governor kit. Would this be the same as when people refer to having a "shift kit"?
    -Jason

Ponch, is there a need to look for a junkyard one? Can I be popping mine in my car and test driving, and popping back out to change and put back in, or can I get lost as to how it was supposed to be?
    -Jason