Welcome to V8Buick.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 455 hydraulic roller lifters?

Going to be putting the 455 motor back together hopfully something other than flat-tappet lifters and wondered if anyone makes hydraulic-roller-lifters?

Have TA's catalog downloaded and they only have solids listed.

Then I put a list together of prices.

Option one is $1219.00 (roller cam and lifters)

Option two is $408.00 (solid lifter)

Was not to thrilled about another flat tappet cam until I saw the thread on the solid tappets with the hole burned in the bottom to increase oiling.
    Michael Evans

"Universal means the part universally does not fit anything until you make it"

GSCA #1258

Building the 1972 Skylark Suncoupe with a 464 , 400 Turbo 3.90's in a 12 bolt, 4-wheel disk brakes

1.51 60-foot 7.14

Dyno run Before the Procharger when it broke the drive shaft (and other things)..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhHk...eature=related

Hi Mike, Comp Cams makes a hyd. roller for a Pontiac/olds big block application. Don't remember the part #. It will work with the BBB. Have run them in a couple engines. Good luck, Bob

Default Re: 455 hydraulic roller lifters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lindquist View Post
    Hi Mike, Comp Cams makes a hyd. roller for a Pontiac/olds big block application. Don't remember the part #. It will work with the BBB. Have run them in a couple engines. Good luck, Bob
    I would love to hear more about doing this, if you don't mind. What timing gears and chain, thrust prevention, what lifters, etc.. Thank you
    Trey Scully
    I may be fat, but at least I'm ugly

87 Camaro (my first car)
    70 Skylark Custom
    03 Harley Davidson Night Train
    83 F-250
    86 Regal
    64 Tempest

Thanks Bob,

My engine builder said something about the them, then I got wind of someone selling a set of BBB roller-lifters at a discount

I just bought a set from Wildgooseperformance (J and J Automotive) out of Canada.

They gave me a very good price on them.

I will however for S and G look into them.
    Michael Evans

GSCA #1258

Building the 1972 Skylark Suncoupe with a 464 , 400 Turbo 3.90's in a 12 bolt, 4-wheel disk brakes

1.51 60-foot 7.14

Dyno run Before the Procharger when it broke the drive shaft (and other things)..........

Mike, Comp sells hydralic roller lifters that will work in the Buicks. It is listed as their Olds/Pontiac version. You will need to talk to TA for you cam needs. Good luck, Bob

Olds/Pontiac V8 Retro HYD RLR High Energy Lifters
    PART #857-16
    $524.96
    Quantity:
    None in your basket

DESCRIPTION:
    High Energy™ Hydraulic Roller Lifters
    Olds & Pontiac Oldsmobile and Pontiac retro-fit hydraulic roller lifters

These lifters are for use with the newly designed hydraulic roller cam series from COMP Cams® or as a performance replacement for stock hydraulic roller lifters. You must be certain that the lifter is correct for the type of block used.
    Michael Evans

GSCA #1258

1.51 60-foot 7.14

It really is too bad that these things are so pricey. The number of flat tappet cams I've seen wiped out in the last few years by lack of zinc or whatever is certainly up there (all makes, not just Buick). Way more common than it used to be. I know about the issues, even Rotella is now almost zinc free...

There are issues with our block valley too, correct? What is the limit for cams using rollers on a stock 455 block??

Too bad we can't get volume on these pieces, drop the price a little. Would LOVE to avoid that initial startup and not have to worry about additives, etc. Oh well....

Summit has them for 479.99.
    BPG Member #1023
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1

Roller cams have been discussed a lot on this board. General consensus has always been that unless you are squeazing the absolute most that you can out of an engine, you're money is better off spent on better heads and just go with a solid cam/lifters.
    Phillip Sedlon
    Wadswoth,OH
    1970 GS convertible, 462/200-4R, (4250 lbs with me), 11.86 at 112 mph, 1.59 60'
    1978 Chevy Z28, 350/4-speed, no where near as fast.........yet!

Quote Originally Posted by 70 gsconvt View Post
    Roller cams have been discussed a lot on this board. General consensus has always been that unless you are squeazing the absolute most that you can out of an engine, you're money is better off spent on better heads and just go with a solid cam/lifters.
    Of course, who wants to spend 1000.00+ dollars on a 400 hp engine when flat tappet and lifters run 220-250.00. That was kinda my point, if it was cheaper more people would jump. If I could buy a 288-94H style of cam as a roller with lifters for 350-400.00 dollars I'd do it, the lack of additives and bad quality lifters is only going to get worse in the future, not to mention the roller can be optimized for power and driveabilty, no break in required, less friction (heat and power), etc.
    BPG Member #1023
    71 GS Stage 1 hardtop
    72 GS 350 ragtop
    http://members.shaw.ca/ritc1

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Of course, who wants to spend 1000.00+ dollars on a 400 hp engine when flat tappet and lifters run 220-250.00. That was kinda my point, if it was cheaper more people would jump. If I could buy a 288-94H style of cam as a roller with lifters for 350-400.00 dollars I'd do it, the lack of additives and bad quality lifters is only going to get worse in the future, not to mention the roller can be optimized for power and driveabilty, no break in required, less friction (heat and power), etc.
    It cost me about $350.00 and time to fix mine.

The figuring I did:

$1300.00 to fix it with a roller cam

$350.00 to fix it with a solid-flat tappet cam.

Then after that, I started to slowly collect parts for a new motor (roller everything).
    Michael Evans

GSCA #1258

1.51 60-foot 7.14

I think your going to find that the links from the O-P COMP lifters aren't correct spacing....
    wait for the beep and leave a message

We are not seeing the increase in cam failures that everyone is concerned with. For several years we have been very firm on our cam break in procedures, so that has to be some of it. I feel that our Buick spec lifter that we have been using for the last couple years also has a lot to do with it because of it's hardened face. A little tid bit of info, the picture of the lifter cross section in our current catalog, is from the 1957 Buick service manual. In other words, all this was figured out decades ago. But for some reason, the industry veered down the wrong road and now we are back on track again. Then when we get into higher load flats like bigger solids, we have the 'Cam Saver' solids with the direct oiling on the face. Rollers are still considered exotic in the Buick, but with our shrouded solid lifter we have solved the oil hemorage problem that essentially made rollers race only. We recently added hydraulic roller lifters for the V6 and those could evolve for the big block with a cross bar change. The only thing regarding the hydraulics is that even on flat cams they are a compromise on performance but they are an even greater performance compromise when done as rollers. On the turbo 6 cars we pick up 20+ hp, better rpm and quicker spooling just by changing from hydraulic to solid.
    Dave
    Manufacturing Engineering Student.
    1965 Skylark Sport Coupe

Prior: Army Infantry (Afghanistan), Jack of All Trades @ TA Performance, Aviation Mechanic US Navy.

Dave,
    Good info. Is it also true with the TA rocker arms that you do not need to do constant valve adjustments with solids lifters? It seems to me with the limited amount of use many of our cars get a solid lifter cam would be just fine on the street.
    Doug Gorton
    Gravity, it's only a theory.
    Trying is the first step towards failure
    -Homer Simpson
    GSX clone- May 2002
    Supercharged 462-April 2010
    1973 Ski Nautique 351w
    87 GN- August 2005

Hey Dave (or anyone),

I purchased a T/A 288-94 hydraulic cam, and will be ordering a set of your lifters soon.

I sent this cam out to Calico Coatings, and had them coat the lobes and distributor gear driver.

How will this affect my cam break in? In effect, do you have any experience with breaking in cams that have been coated? I would think that this would give me some extra protection, but I still plan on keeping the revs up for the first 20 minutes or so.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this.

Thanks.

--Ranger

Default Twin Turbo V8

Lifter damage, two concave lifters, 1 & 8 exhaust. Twin
    p-72 turbonetics, over boosted engine. H lifters seemed collapsed, Mike T. sent me solids. Any other failure modes to look for?

GSCA NE
    BqUICK
    GSCA, NE, #33

TA has the hydraulic roller lifters..the last time I checked they were somewhere in the $300 to $400 range. I added up almost $1400 to run the hydraulic cam..that will make you think twice about doing so.
    Bob Gable
    70 GS Foe Fiddy 5

LSM Systems Engineering custom makes cams, hyd,solid,hyd roller, solid roller with lifters and springs to match. I have known LSM springs and cam components lasting 4 times longer then any ones out there. I look at it this away, if Pro stock, top fuel, Funny car, tractor pullers(gas and diesel) and many more, run them and always go back, there doing something rt then. The last time I called for my turbo 455BBB project for a roller cam and lifters, it was not $1300.00 iT was $1125.00, it was custom made to my engine not anyone else's. Not all cams are created equal( self cams).
    Look closely, that's a Buick you see not a Ford nor a Chevy. Thank you Reggie for being a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
    I get valvetrain parts at a great price, I'll check into rollers for a Buick, got em for everything else.
    No one else has them
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 87GN_70GS View Post
    No one else has them
    I believe the ones from TA are made by Morel?
    Larry
    1998 "Fully Optioned" SC3800 Riviera
    70 GS 455 Stage1, TSP 470, 602 HP@ 5900, 589 TQ @ 4900
    TA Hyd Roller Cam, 230*/238*, 112, .544"/.577" lift, 4-7 swap
    MSD Digital 6+, Ignitionman Distributor w/MSD trigger
    1967 BT Switchpitch ST-400, Gear Vendors OD
    with TSP 3200/1800 converter
    AED 1000 HO Carb, 800 CFM 7042240 Quadrajet
    8.5 10 bolt, 3.73's
    11.67 @ 115.49 MPH
    Larrymta@verizon.net, GSCA #291
    BPG # 1063
    N.E. GS/GN Club Assistant Director

http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGr...1&cid=28&pid=2 Lunati has them for olds,pontiac for 325.00, just scrool down and see for your self. I called Bullet cams and they are in the range of 470.00 for roller lifters His calling me tomerrow to tell me when he can get them.
    Look closely, that's a Buick you see not a Ford nor a Chevy. Thank you Reggie for being a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    I believe the ones from TA are made by Morel?
    http://www.dougherbert.com/buick-hyd...rpm-33434.html 225.00 dollars. I'm sorry it took me a while but I always look for odd ball stuff and this one of them.

Hi Folks,
    I have used the Comp hyd roller lifters in the past and have found them to make noise. I do have our lifters made for us by Morel. TA1412 $350.00 less money than the Comps I believe. I have been very happy with the performance of these lifters. If you have lost a cam and are upgrading to a Hyd roller, make sure you clean the engine completely. Total tear down and clean. I have seen customers do the upgrade without cleaning and caused the lifters to fail. They wont pump up. Sent them out to be checked and found iron deposits in them with scoring on the piston assembly. I have been so happy with the hyd rollers so far that I recommended them over a flat tappet. Increased power levels and all worries of loosing a cam are gone. Interested give me a call.
    Mike Tomaszewski
    TA Performance Products Inc.
    www.taperformance.com
    480-922-6807

Already have. Working to see if there is a relatively low lift cam variant so I don't have to snow ball into pistons, etc. I'm interested really from a maintanence stand point, I put well over 12,000miles/yr on my Skylark. ~2500 miles in May
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

See page 65 of their catalog. They mention they can grind something as low as 0.300" lobe lift. I'd imagine a short duration grind can tolerate a lot more than that before piston to valve clearance becomes a problem.

Devon
    Fuel & Brake Systems Engineer
    "I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Feynman
    "Good data is precious. The problem I have is when some damned fool fails to use it properly." - Slingerland

I was on the phone yesterday, and .525 net lift sounded like it may be the smallest, which would likely run into the piston interference zone. I was shooting for ~.500-.510 lift. I don't want enough HP to spit the crank out (at my building abilities =P ) I just want a bit more Oomph and longevity. I'm supposed to hear back this week.
    The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 2 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011!), '72 Centurion Conv't - 455w/TH400, '67 T-bird 4Dr (suicide) w/428, MegaSquirt 1 & C6. '69 Firebird replaced, now building a Pontiac Turbo L6!

My Skylark thread
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=208168
    My Pontiac OHC Six thread.
    http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=219250

I'm just a regular guy that fuel injected an old Buick and Thunderbird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast