Welcome to V8Buick.com.

Default 86 Regal w/ Olds 350 rocket

Hey, anybody know what kinda gas mileage I can expect from an Olds 350 Rocket bore .030 over, w/ a Lunati cam (.490" lift), stock intake, and stock heads (haven't gotten heads yet, so I don't know the head casting number).
    I'm also looking for horsepower numbers. Only info I have on the block is the casting #395558 2, anybody know the horsepower I should expect from this block....being bored .030 over w/ Lunati cam?

I'm trying to keep from overdoing it because its going in a daily driver. I want a lil performance, but I'ma practical person. I know its not practical to have a daily driver that gets 8 MPG. I'm looking for at least 17 city, with a good tune.
    I plan on doing this using the current setup I have on my 307....carb, intake, all accessories. I was told its a direct bolt up for EVERYTHING, thats why I'm going with the 350 rocket.

Thanx in advance
    E.P.
    86 Regal Limited
    UPDATE: Dakota Digital dash soon to be installed
    L31 Vortec 5.7L & 4L60E swap in progress

not really enuff info to tell hp but figure 200-300 range depending
    on compression/distributer setup/carb/exhuast.
    also with 350 heads you really need to find out what year heads
    and block are for headgaskets. i think 76 was the change year
    they will have less surface area and larger coolant passages for starters
    you will need to get the right gaskets or you will run into a overheat
    problem and they can /or will leak antifreeze into engine
    mpg will depend on rear gear/carb/how much your foot is into it
    17 in the city is asking alot but maybe.
    dont use the 307 intake,your wasting your time and effort
    it will choke the engine and it will run like a 307 and probably run lean
    dont use the 307 heads either. you will see the intake port difference
    once you pull intake from 307,and compare to 350 ports.
    Andy bridgeview,il
    65 special v6 daily driver-this needs to go faster
    82 gn clone 455 12.50's on pump, soon trishield 464
    84 gn
    72 skylark convert#2 ,N-25 for sale

Alec296, Thanx for the reply. I haven't been getting ANY feedback on my posts lately.

I have a th350 trans and stock rearend. What other info would you need?

E.P.
    86 Regal Limited
    UPDATE: Dakota Digital dash soon to be installed
    L31 Vortec 5.7L & 4L60E swap in progress

Default Your milage will be bad

My 86 regal with a 307 only got about 16 mpg or so. I can't see you doing any better with a 350 unless you do a cat delete. A good dual exhaust with no cats would probably be the best thing for both performance and milage. Since it is 2006 the car isnow 20 years old, that might even make no cats legal.

Your 307 heads will produce more compression on a 350, but I think you would be better off with 350 heads because of the larger valves and ports.

I don't know about the intake, but I don't think the stock Q-Jet willl work well. It certainly won't without recalibrating it for the larger engine (jet sizes, bleeds ...). The 86 307 carb is also one of the dreaded electric quadrajets. These things have a terrible reputation to begin with, even with the 307 engine they were designed for. I would scrap the carb for an aftermarket unit.

In any case good luck. I love those 86 and 87 Regals. My 86 Regal 307 was the nicest car I ever owned IMO (even if it was also the slowest).

You might want to try posting this on an Olds forum since you are really focused on the engine.
    Last edited by Auburn2; 06-22-2006 at 11:33 AM.