Question on 4speed assembly for 69 GS

Discussion in 'U-shift em' started by 2manybuicks, Oct 25, 2018.

  1. 2manybuicks

    2manybuicks Platinum Level Contributor

    I have had a correct 5335 shifter handle lying around for ten years. Sending it out to be rechromed shortly.

    Currently my 69 has an incorrect handle that bolts in to the shifter assembly. I am told it is from a firebird of unknown vintage.

    So to make this correct, do I need a correct replacement shifter assembly with rods and all, or are the rods most likely okay?

    (I have no idea whatsoever regarding any of this.)

    I would post pics but my car is elsewhere and about impossible to access.

    Tempted by gsfred's cobbled together shifter unit if my rods will swap over.
    Nailhead Ronnie likes this.
  2. hugger

    hugger Well-Known Member

    Are they 3/8 diameter rods?
  3. 2manybuicks

    2manybuicks Platinum Level Contributor

    Dunno. I'll try to get the body guy to send me a pic, but sometimes I don't get a reply for a month.
  4. agetnt9

    agetnt9 Agetnt9 (Dan)

    3/8 " they will probably work but the shifter will have to have the one that pushes in and a thin piece of metal holds the 5335
  5. philbquick

    philbquick Founders Club Member

    Unless you are going for a concourse restoration, I would find a way to attach your stock appearing handle to a Hurst competition plus shifter and linkage.
  6. buick64203

    buick64203 Just plum crazy Staff Member

    Drilling holes in a factory 5335 handle is not an option. Especially after the OP pays $250 to rechrome it ($125 for the re-chrome and another $125 to re-engrave it)

    The issue is that the OP has an aftermarket/ over the counter Hurst shifter that uses a bolt on handle. The 5335 handle is a push in style that uses clips. So there or a couple of options here-

    You can swap out the handle receiver in the aftermarket shifter for a push in style from Hurst shifters online. But that gets involved and requires a some experience reinstalling the reverse detent spring. Or you can get a new complete factory Buick shifter mechanism for your GS for $349 and maybe re-use the aftermarket rods.
  7. 2manybuicks

    2manybuicks Platinum Level Contributor

    It aint a concourse restoration, but I hate incorrect just on principal.

    Well, except for my Motor Wheel Spyders. I just love those things.
  8. buick64203

    buick64203 Just plum crazy Staff Member

    I would be happy to convert your shifter to the push in style if you like. But your probably looking at about $100 in parts plus shipping to me and back. Your basically looking at a handle receiver, isolators and two springs (reverse detent and main spring).

    Duane sent me pics of his shifter. To me, it looks like an aftermarket shifter that someone welded a 5335 handle to.
  9. 2manybuicks

    2manybuicks Platinum Level Contributor

    What years had what 4-speed shifters?
    By that I mean, does the shifter body (not the rods or handle) interchange across the years?

    I want a 69 shifter body but do not know what other years to accept.
  10. buick64203

    buick64203 Just plum crazy Staff Member

Share This Page