need U joint help

Discussion in 'The Bench' started by 72buicklark, Apr 20, 2017.

  1. 72buicklark

    72buicklark AKA 68GS383

    Need to know the proper u joint to go from the driveshaft off my 68 GS to a 71 Skylark differential.

    Hopefully they use close to the same sized driveshaft as I just had a new one made last year. .
  2. 72buicklark

    72buicklark AKA 68GS383

    Cmon meow someone's gotta know
  3. yachtsmanbill

    yachtsmanbill Well-Known Member

    If no one responds, I'd pick up a new one and try it for a fit on the diff. yoke and the drive shaft end. Maybe even get lucky at the parts store with a simple number. Theres only about 3 types that'll work. ws
  4. sriley531

    sriley531 More Luck than Skill....

    Try sending "Monzaz" here on the board a PM. He's a rear diff specialist, I'd bet he'd know. I believe 71 8.5" 10 bolt was a 1310, dont know much about the 68's though.
  5. wkillgs

    wkillgs Gold Level Contributor

    Look it up on a manufactures site such as Dana/Spicer:

    Both 68 and 71 use the 3147x. It's a GM 3R style joint.
    Site also gives dimensions so you can double check against the dimensions of your driveshaft and yokes.
  6. Guy Parquette

    Guy Parquette Platinum Level Contributor

    Uses the same u-joint. 534G inside snap ring style.
  7. 72buicklark

    72buicklark AKA 68GS383

    OK thanks guys, just always like to make sure.

Share This Page