Battery boiling over

Discussion in 'Sparky's corner' started by mrbuick65, Feb 23, 2020.

  1. mrbuick65

    mrbuick65 Well-Known Member

    Hey guys! I have a 65 Skylark GS. Have not driven it for a bit. Noticed lots of white powder at the battery as though it had boiled over. This could have been happening while was still driving it. I put a meter on the battery while running the car and the voltage was 13.8 which should be good. Maybe an intermittent problem. The voltage regulator is a transistor type and a few years old. Battery about 4. There is a condenser at the regulator. Do not know the age. Would this have anything to do with it and is there a replacement one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John
     
  2. flynbuick

    flynbuick Super Moderator Staff Member

    The condenser is used for noise suppression when the stock voltage regulator containing a relay is present. Otherwise, you would hear a pop in your AM radio each time the relay in the voltage regulator activated.
     
    philbquick likes this.
  3. LARRY70GS

    LARRY70GS a.k.a. "THE WIZARD"

    13.8 volts is bare minimum to charge the battery. Should be low to mid 14's depending on temperature and state of charge. Usually when a battery boils over it is because of overcharging. Check the voltage at higher RPM.
     
  4. philbquick

    philbquick Founders Club Member

    The battery in my 65 started to cook and the voltage was over 16 volts, glad it didn't blow up. A new solid state regulator fixed it. Since your voltage is in the correct range you could have a shorted cell in your battery. I use a Battery Minder 2012 that does a good job of desulfating a battery and also detects bad cells. What is the battery voltage with the engine not running? If it stays over 12.5 volts it should be OK.
     

Share This Page